Understanding point value and tick size related to FX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understanding point value and tick size related to FX

I am using FXCM as my broker and Ninjatrader for charting and executing my trades.
    My problem is that the pip profits and gains are represented differently inside FXCM compared to Ninjatrader.

Where FXCM can show profits or losses as an example 20.5 pips, then Ninjatrader is showing 205.x pips. I think this is related to how I setup the tick size inside the Instrument Manager.

FXCM calls 1/10000 = 0.0001 as pips, and 1/100000 = 0.00001 as fractional pips.
    How is this related to the settings for each currencypair inside Ninjatrader in the Instrument Manager for tick size?

Also, if I change the tick-size, should I also change the point-value?
    How is the point value related to currency-pairs so I dont make only changes to tick-size and forget the other?

What I want is that I get the same representation of pip change inside NT as I have in FXCM.

Thanks!

Hello warcious,

Forex instruments such as the EURUSD use a tick size of 0.00001 in NinjaTrader. This is to cater to the fractional pip (5th decimal). If you change it to a tick size of 0.0001, it cannot accurately show PnL as it cannot display the fractional pip. Please leave the tick size as is.

The point value is how much dollar equals 1 point. Please do not change the tick size and point value to avoid issues upon trading live.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by mattbsea, Today, 05:44 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post mattbsea  
    Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
    6 responses
    0 likes