Range Bars for Crude Inaccurate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Range Bars for Crude Inaccurate

It seems that the Range Bars when applied to Crude (CL 09-08) are not accurate.

Attached is an example.

Has anyone been able to successfully apply Range Bars to Crude?

I am using DTNIQ as a data feed.

I am also running NeoTicker and can create Range Bars using the DTNIQ feed in that application so I am confident that the raw data needed to create Range Bars is available to my instance of Ninja.

Can you shed some light on this?
    Attached Files

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

This is because the range has been exceeded but it is so thinly traded that it basically draws a straight line covering the range between the sparce ticks. This is expected.

If you change it to 1 min intervals you will see how thinly traded it is.
    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Something is amiss.

September is the forward contract and is very active.

On a Ninja daily chart volume today is >294k contracts but on a 1, 5, or 10 minute chart the volume drops to a trickle.

Can you shed some light on this discrepancy?

Thanks,
      C

Comment

Hello,

NinjaTrader only displays the data that comes from the data feed. We do not have the ability display anything else.

If you feel the data is incorrect please contact the data provider and have them confirm the data.

Comment

Just to clarify, I am able to use my DTN data feed to create range and minute charts w/volume in NeoTicker for Crude but with the same feed am unable to create range bars in Ninja.

Not sure why the DTN application would feed to NeoTicker but not Ninja.

What data feed are you using for CL?

Does that data feed show the same discrepancy?

Please advise as I am happy to switch data vendors and greatly prefer Ninja over Neo.

All the best,
          C

Comment

Hello,

If you could post a screen shot of Neo's chart using DTN. Please provide the symbol, interval setting, and exchange you are using to produce the chart.

Also, please confirm this is the exact DTN data feed (same login info) as the one you are using for NT.

Comment

The symbol is QCL#. DTN puts the prefix Q when the contract is traded electronically.

# is the forward month, which is currently September.

You will see from the screenshot of the I! Connection Manager that there are 2 connections to their feed (one is NeoTicker and the other is Ninja).

I attached a 3 Range chart from Neo but it works fine for all bar range sizes.

You will also see that NYMEX is enabled.

Thanks for following up.

All the best,
              C
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Please go to: Tools>Instrument Manager>select CL from the master list>Edit>Misc tab and enter QCL next to the IQFeed field.

Now you will be mapping the QCL# data to the CL instrument.

Alternatively, you could create an entirely new instrument using these instructions:

NinjaTrader comes pre-loaded with the most commonly traded instruments however, you may find the need to add an additional instrument. Please follow the instructions below to add an instrument in the Instrument Manager.
                • From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Instrument Manager
                • Press the "New" button
                • *Enter in instrument specific information and select the appropriate exchange (add Default exchange for equities in addition to the actual exchange)
                • Fill in any relevant information under the "Misc" tab such as symbol mapping for your target connectivty provider
                • Press the "OK" button
                * If you wish to add an equity, this can be accomplished without following the steps above. Just open a chart (for example) and start typing in the symbol and a new instrument is automatically created.
                The instrument is now added to the master instrument list. Please follow the instructions below if you want to add this instrument to an instrument list.
                • Select the instrument list you wish to add the instrument to via the "Instrument lists" drop down list in the upper left hand corner
                • Select the exchange (Default recommend for equities) as this will route orders to your broker smart routing system
                • Select the appropriate expiration date if this is a futures instrument
                • Press the "<" button to add the instrument to the list
                You are now complete and can press the "OK" button.

Comment

That did the trick...Thanks, C

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by frslvr, 04-11-2024, 07:26 AM
                  8 responses
                  1 like
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                  Started by stafe, 04-15-2024, 08:34 PM