Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slow data loading

Hi,
    I experience very slow loading of chart data. I'm using IQFeed and the data load for intraday charts takes about 2 minutes (for 3 days of history) and daily charts about 1 minute (365 days).

Why does it take so long? Sierra Chart or Amibroker can download the same data in a few seconds with the same IQFeed API.

And finally - is it possible to use caching for the data? For example when I switch from a symbol to another and then switch back, NT always loads the data again and I have to wait another minute or so, which is inconvenient.

Thanks for your answer.

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

How many charts and indicators are you using at one time? You may want to review this link on performance:

What instrument are you using? What interval settings?

Are you testing these charts individually or in a workspace? If you are using a workspace please delete it from Documents>NinjaTrader 6.5>Workspaces and recreate it

Do you have a 3rd party indicator going? If so, please do not use it and see if performance improves.
    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your answer. I made a clean install on another computer and the data load is much faster without any indicators on the chart. Even the intraday charts now load in a matter of seconds.

So thank you again for your advice.

Comment

Slow loading Charts

This is still a major issue. It makes it impossible to even use Ninja. The charts load way way too slow. When you switch from one stock to the other it should be instant, not a 10 sec delay. Why is this not fixed. Most other professional software loads instantly why doesn't Ninja Trader?

Comment

Hello cbratton,

It can take a few seconds to load a chart. It depends on how much historical data that needs to be loaded and how many indicators need to be calculated. If you reduce historical data or indicators in the chart, does it load quicker when you switch instruments?
          JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Even if I try loading only a single day on the 5 min chart it takes a few seconds. I purchased the lifetime licence a few years ago but don't even use it because the slow load times. I have a few moving averages on the chart but that should not cause the historical data to load slow. I don't know how these other platforms load so fast with the same exact setup but I think Ninja needs to make some changes so that it competes with those other programs. If you only trade one single market it works fine but when switching back and forth its way to slow.

Comment

I suggest to proceed as follows. Maybe there is corruption in the db-->cache folder which causes data to load slower.

Can you please shut down NinjaTrader and delete the db-->cache folder. You can find the folder at the location below. Right click the cache folder and select Delete.

C:\-->Users-->*Windows user account*-->Documents-->NinjaTrader 7-->db-->cache

Start NinjaTrader and connect to your data feed to load your charts.

The cache folder is used to quickly load data in charts - the actual data is saved in the tick, minute and day folders. So the first time you load chart data after deleting the db-->cache folder, it will take a little longer to load than usual. Once all data is loaded, it will load data quickly again.
              JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I deleted the cache files and restarted NT. I switched between two stocks HPQ and AAPL to test it and each time I switch it takes about 20-35 secs to load the data. If it is suppose to be saving the data it is not doing that. I'm using it though Interactive Brokers data feed, through TWS. Is there anything else that can be done to speed it up or any settings that would save the data so it does not have to load everytime? Thanks

Comment

Hello,

Please try making the following change to force NinjaTrader to use locally cached data:
                  • Open the Options menu. (Tools > Options)
                  • In the Data tab, un-check the 'Get Data from Server' box.
                  • Click OK to apply the change and exit the Options menu.
                  KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I unchecked the get data from server and it did load much faster about 1 sec, but when I enter a new symbol that has not been on there before it does not load at all, it makes me wonder if it will update those first symbols real-time.

I can just use TWS for now, but I would like this to be fixed with Ninja Trader 8, along with more stock symbols being listed and also ETF's like IWM because it gives errors like saying I need to assign an additional exchange.

Comment

Hello,

Data which has not been loaded previously will be loaded as rapidly as it is provided to NinjaTrader by TWS. The software has no control over the speed at which TWS provides data to third party applications however.

NinjaTrader comes pre-loaded with the most commonly traded instruments however, you may find the need to add an additional instrument. Please follow the instructions below to add an instrument in the Instrument Manager.
                      • From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Instrument Manager
                      • Press the "New" button
                      • *Enter in instrument specific information and select the appropriate exchange (add Default exchange for equities in addition to the actual exchange)
                      • Fill in any relevant information under the "Misc" tab such as symbol mapping for your target connectivity provider
                      • Press the "OK" button

The instrument is now added to the master instrument list. Please follow the instructions below if you want to add this instrument to an instrument list.
                      • Select the instrument list you wish to add the instrument to via the "Instrument lists" drop down list in the upper left hand corner
                      • Select the exchange (Default recommend for equities) as this will route orders to your broker smart routing system
                      • Select the appropriate expiration date if this is a futures instrument
                      • Press the "<" button to add the instrument to the list

You are now complete and can press the "OK" button.
                      KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by i019945nj, 12-14-2023, 06:41 AM
                      5 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post i019945nj  
                      Started by ruudawakening, Today, 12:58 AM
                      1 response
                      0 likes