Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to Back Test Whilst Offline?

Hello

I'm new to ninjatrader so haven't quite worked my way around the whole program yet, but have a couple of newbie questions.

1.) Is it possible to back test strategies without being connected to the Internet?

2.) I'm also having problems with the strategy analyser. I've downloaded daily data for YHOO from Yahoo Finance and I can load a chart fine. I can run a strategy (built in moving average strategy) through this chart view using the icon on the top menu bar and the chart will display buy and sell points, etc. But when I run the same strategy through the strategy analyser I don't get any stats. From within strategy analyser, I'm selecting YHOO from the Nasdaq 100, right clicking and choosing 'backtest'. I select the ma strategy and click OK, but as I say, no stats displayed on the screen after, and no charts, orders, etc. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

1- Yes, you can. The procedure is the same.

2- Yahoo does not support indexes. Here is a link with this detail:
    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Ben

Turns out I was using the wrong data series type. Instead of 'minute', I selected 'day' (I downloaded daily data from Yahoo Finance) and the strategy analyser worked for the stock data I downloaded for YHOO.

I then managed to perform a backtest whilst offline, and although it tries to connect to the data provider, it is unsuccessful, but still carries out the test on what historic data it has. I'm assuming that is still a successful backtest, but maybe just missing more recent bars?

Comment

If you are not connected to a data provider it will backtest with whatever data you have available in your database. If your database is up-to-date the backtest will be up-to-date, otherwise it will be as up-to-date as your database is.
        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
          If you are not connected to a data provider it will backtest with whatever data you have available in your database. If your database is up-to-date the backtest will be up-to-date, otherwise it will be as up-to-date as your database is.
          Thanks for confirming that.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SantoshXX, Today, 03:09 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post SantoshXX  
          Started by DanielTynera, Today, 01:14 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes