Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Condition builder help needed for alert...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Condition builder help needed for alert...

I'm using NT 7, and have not been able to figure out how to create an alert using the Strategy Wizard for something that will probably be pretty simple for someone who knows what they're doing. On a chart showing the NYSE TICK, I want an alert when a line or bar showing the TICK value closes outside the two bands (either above the upper band, or below the lower band). After watching videos and reading about the Strategy Wizard, I still haven't been able to figure out how to configure this in the Condition Builder. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

hello alanack,

Thanks for your post.

To assist I've created a short video on how you can do this. https://Paul-ninjaTrader.tinytake.co...UyNl82MzQ4NDE5
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Paul View Post
      hello alanack,

Thanks for your post.

To assist I've created a short video on how you can do this. https://Paul-ninjaTrader.tinytake.co...UyNl82MzQ4NDE5
      Hi Paul,

Thanks for this link, the video was very helpful. I was able to create the alerts using absolute TICK values as shown in the video, but what I was not able to figure out is how to configure the Wizard to get an alert each time the TICK closes outside the Bollinger Bands - in other words, above the high band or below the low band. I wondered if this might be a problem, as there are two bands, not the single band of an SMA, for instance. Is this possible? If so, could you point me in the direction of the info that might help me understand how to do it? Thanks!

Comment

Hello alanack,

Thanks for your reply.

The video showed drawing a dot when the High crossed above the upperlevel or the Low crossed below the lowerlevel. If you want to change them to the "close" of the bar that would work as well.

The Alert (action) as shown in the video was only a Dot, if you want an audible alert, you will need to add that to the action section of each set. If you add Playsound to each action, then you will get the selected sound when/as the event occurs with live data (or market replay).

Comment

Hi Paul,

Thanks, but I'm not sure I've made myself clear. I want an alert no matter what the value of the Bollinger Bands, not based on an absolute value as in the video. When you enter the user defined inputs, it's asking for absolute values. I don't see a way tell it I want an alert when price (actually the TICK value) closes above the upper Bollinger Band or below the lower band, without regard to value? Is this clear? Thanks!

Comment

Hello alanack,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I missed the Bollinger reference.

I've attached a screenshot of how to select the Bollinger indicator and in there to then select the Plot - Upper. For the other side you would change the plot to the Lower.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello alanack,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I missed the Bollinger reference.

I've attached a screenshot of how to select the Bollinger indicator and in there to then select the Plot - Upper. For the other side you would change the plot to the Lower.
              Thanks, Paul. This is what I was looking for - however, I still cannot get the alert to work consistently. Sometimes it works, but usually when the "line on close" closes outside the Bollinger Bands nothing happens. I've tried using your method, selecting "high - crossabove - Bollinger - plot - upper," and I've also tried "close > Bollinger - plot - upper," but both of these approaches trigger alerts only sporadically. I'd prefer the latter approach, as I would like to be alerted each and every time a close is outside the bands. With the "crossabove" specification, I believe a close would have to occur again inside the bands before another alert could take place. I'm just not sure what to make of this. Thanks!

Comment

Hello alanack,

Thanks for your reply.

I would need to see your strategy wizard file to further assist. Please post screenshots that show your conditions and actions.

Alternatively, if you prefer, please feel free to send an e-mail to PlatformSupport[at]NinjaTrader[dot]com with your strategy attached. In the subject line please use Atten:Paul and a link to this thread for reference. The strategy file is located in Documents>NinjaTrader>bin>custom>strategy and will be as you named it with a .CS extension. Please attached the cs file to the e-mail.

Comment

Hello alanack,

Thanks for your reply.

I would need to see your strategy wizard file to further assist. Please post screenshots that show your conditions and actions.

Alternatively, if you prefer, please feel free to send an e-mail to PlatformSupport[at]NinjaTrader[dot]com with your strategy attached. In the subject line please use Atten:Paul and a link to this thread for reference. The strategy file is located in Documents>NinjaTrader>bin>custom>strategy and will be as you named it with a .CS extension. Please attached the cs file to the e-mail.
                  Hi Paul,
                  I figured out why this appeared not to be working right. The Bollinger Band parameters inside the script were different than those inside the chart. I thought it would work from the bands in the chart. You can't pay close enough attention to details, I guess. Anyway, everything is working, many thanks for all your help.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Christopher_R, Today, 12:29 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Christopher_R  
                  Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                  166 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post sidlercom80