Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Multi Timeframe Strategy Creation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi Timeframe Strategy Creation

Hi,

Presumably a successful automated strategy needs to be configured across multiple timeframes? Curious to know if this is diffcult to do, and whether anyone has managed to do this without the use of C#

Look forard to replies...

Hello demo166130,

This is really up to your trading goals. You do not need to use multiple time frames or test across more that one but you can if you would like to see how the logic performs in those situations. This is something you would need to test to satisfaction of your own goals. NinjaTrader does allow for trading a single time frame or multiple, it would depend on what you want.

NinjaTrader uses specifically C# for its NinjaScript language so there would not be a way to accomplish creating a strategy in the platform without using C#. You can use the strategy builder which is a GUI interface but that still just generates C# code in the overall scope of what is happening.

Please let me know if I may be of additional assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

What I'm getting at is whether it's possible to create a strategy using the analyzer that takes into account multiple indicators across multiple timeframes? And if so, is there any useful info pertainign to how.

Thanks

Comment

Hello demo166130,

Yes, the analyzer can test multi-timeframe or multi-instrument strategies which include indicators. This would need to be developed using either the builder or in manual coding.

I would suggest watching our strategy builder webinar as that outlines a good portion of the content surrounding strategy development and testing.

There are also two scripts included with NinjaTrader called SampleMultiTimeFrame and SampleMultiInstrument that shows the required manual coding syntax.

I do want to note that the builder specifically has limitations surrounding how it handles multi-time frame scripts, the added timeframes would mainly be used for indicators or prices. In manaul coding you can take advantage of the multiple timefames/instruments in more complex ways.

The following resources would all be helpful toward learning about both strategies and multi timeframes.

Strategy analyzer: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...y_analyzer.htm
        Strategy builder: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...egy_wizard.htm
        Strategy builder webinar: https://youtu.be/MaaqCBoqYxI
        Multi timeframe development in NinjaScript: https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt7/multi_time_frame__instruments.htm?zoom_highlightsu b=multi

I look forward to being of further assistance.
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jesse; 11-05-2018, 08:43 AM.

Comment

That's plenty, thanks for the help and resources.

Regards

Comment

Unfortuntely, I haven't managed to find the specific information relating to exactly how you tell the strategy analyzer to refer to higher timeframe indicators in making decisions. Could you possibly point me in the right direction?

Regards

Comment

Im also using NT7 and all he info you provided related to NT8. Perhaps this comment was incorrectly placed. Im sure you'll let me know if so.

Comment

Hello demo166130,

Thank you for the reply.

I updated the information in the last post for nt7, regarding multi timeframe development I would suggest looking at the link "Multi timeframe development in NinjaScript". Adding multiple timeframes and accessing indicators on those timeframes is something you do in the code of the script and is also related to the structure of how the script is formed.

A simple example is shown on the Multi timeframe development in NinjaScript page in the "Using Bars Objects as Input to Indicator Methods" section.

Code:
                if (CCI(20)[0] > 200 && CCI(BarsArray[1], 20)[0] > 200
                          && CCI(BarsArray[2], 20)[0] > 200)
                         {
                              // Do something
                         }

Comment

I think you previously implied this is also possible in the strategy builder without C#. How would you implement multiple timeframe reactions using this?

Comment

Hello demo166130,

I am sorry if there was any confusion, I had not implied this was possible using only the user interface in the analyzer. I had previously mentioned it is possible for the analyzer to test scripts that include multiple timeframes or indicators that reference those timeframes. This is still something you need to program toward your goals.

In the NT8 strategy builder it is possible to add secondary data, in NT7 this is strictly a manually coded item.

Comment

Originally posted by demo166130 View Post
                      Unfortuntely, I haven't managed to find the specific information relating to exactly how you tell the strategy analyzer to refer to higher timeframe indicators in making decisions. Could you possibly point me in the right direction?
                      I think you mean Strategy Wizard.

Strategy Wizard allows non-coders to create basic strategies.
                      (Tools -> New NinjaScript -> Strategy)

Strategy Analyzer is used to test already created strategies.
                      (File -> New -> Strategy Analyzer)

Nowadays, the Strategy Wizard is also referred to as Strategy Builder.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by bltdavid; 11-06-2018, 04:42 AM.

Comment

I think you think I think you think too smart. I think

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jesse View Post
                          Hello demo166130,

Thank you for the reply.

I updated the information in the last post for nt7, regarding multi timeframe development I would suggest looking at the link "Multi timeframe development in NinjaScript". Adding multiple timeframes and accessing indicators on those timeframes is something you do in the code of the script and is also related to the structure of how the script is formed.

A simple example is shown on the Multi timeframe development in NinjaScript page in the "Using Bars Objects as Input to Indicator Methods" section.

Code:
                          if (CCI(20)[0] > 200 && CCI(BarsArray[1], 20)[0] > 200
                          && CCI(BarsArray[2], 20)[0] > 200)
                          {
                          // Do something
                          }

In the above example, which of the values relates to the timeframe in bars, and which relate to the indicator values? How do we stipulate we want to use 15 Range bars? This might be a step beyond my mental capabilities but It's worth a try.

Comment

Hello demo166130,

The terminology used in this specific syntax you can reference in the help guide page that describes multi series use in the platform. This is one of the links from post #4.

The sample also uses if(BarsInProgress == 0) meaning that the sample is being run on the primary series only.

The first use of CCI will be referencing the primary series.
                            The second use of CCI the BarsArray[1] is passed to the indicator meaning it is using the secondary data.
                            The third use references BarsArray[2] meaning it uses the third added series.

If you wanted to use 15 range bars, you would need to Add with 15 range bars, and then use the index for that series in the order you added it.

From the help guide sample:
                            our primary Bars is set from a MSFT 1 minute chart
                            MSFT 1 minute Bars is given an index value of 0
                            In the Initialize() method we added a MSFT 3 minute Bars object and an AAPL 1 minute Bars object to the script
                            MSFT 3 minute Bars is given an index value of 1
                            AAPL 1 minute Bars is given an index value of 2

Using this example, if you replaced the 3 minute MSFT instrument, the BarsArray used would be BarsArray[1]

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by aa731, Today, 02:54 AM
                            0 responses
                            1 view
                            0 likes
                            Last Post aa731
                            by aa731

Started by thanajo, 05-04-2021, 02:11 AM