Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Increase contracts traded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increase contracts traded

Hi,

I got the strategy running and now would like to gradually increase the contracts traded within the script until "X" contracts are traded instead of "all in and all out". Is there an example for me to use as guideline or any suggestions?

Thanks

Hello 2Look4me,

Thanks for your post.

You could use Position.Quantity as a means of checking how many orders you have and comparing it to "X".

if (Your conditions to enter && Position.Quantity < MyTotalContracts) // MyTotalContracts would be an int variable you create/define
    {
    EnterLong();
    }

Reference: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help.../?quantity.htm

Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Paul, "Position.Quantity " is what I needed. In terms of the exit, instead of "all out", I would want the entry that hits the parameters first to exit first. For instance for the second entry to exit first if it hits the stop loss exit and the first entry to continue until it reaches any of the other exit parameters.

Comment

Hello 2Look4me,

Thank you for your response.

The Managed Order Approach would need the exits to be assigned a specific 'fromEntrySignal' which is generated from the entries and their 'signalName'. For example:

Code:
                    if (MyEntryCondition)
                        EnterLong("Entry01");
                    if (MyExitCondition)
                        ExitLong("Entry01");
        Please visit the following link for more details: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...d_approach.htm

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Thanks Patrick. Since I'm scaling in, I'm using BarsSinceEntry, but apparently the number of bars counted start from the very first entry and continues counting those bars even after the second entry. What if I would like the BarsSinceEntry starting from the second entry instead of the bars from the very first entry?

Comment

Hello 2Look4me,

You can also pass in the 'signalName' to the BarsSinceEntry, for example: BarsSinceEntry(string signalName). With this you would pass through the second signal name you use for the second entry.

For more information on BarsSinceEntry() please visit the following link: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...sinceentry.htm

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Thanks Patrick, in essence this is what I'm attempting with the scale in, but still a bit confused about it cuz when I run it, the stored EntryHigh1 and EntryLow2 are out of whack as well as the rest.
              Code:
              if(Position.MarketPosition==MarketPosition.Flat)
                                  {
                                      if( Conditions A)
                                      {
                                          EnterLong("abc");
                                      }
                                  }
                                  if(Position.MarketPosition==MarketPosition.Long)
                                  {
                                      if(BarsSinceEntry("abc")==1 //After first bar ,set first High as EntryHigh1
                                      {
                                          EntryHigh1 = High[1];
                                      }
                                      else if( Conditions B)
                                      {
                                          ExitLong();
                                      }
                                      if(BarsSinceEntry("abc")>=2 && Close[0]>EntryHigh1) //Scale in when Close larger than EntryHigh1
                                      {
                                          EnterLong(2,"xyz");
                                      }
                                      if(BarsSinceEntry("xyz") ==1); //After first bar, set entry low as EntryLow2
                                      {
                                          EntryLow2 = Low{1];
                                      }
                                      else if(BarsSinceEntry("xyz" )>=2 && Close[0]<EntryLow2) //Exit all if Close < EntryLow2
                                      {
                                          ExitLong();
                                      }
                                  }

Comment

Hello 2Look4me,

Can you provide further detail on the behavior you are seeing versus the intended behavior?

Comment

Hi Patrick, I have attached a sample script. Sometimes the "High" that I'm getting doesn't correspond to the "High" of the Long Entry bar, but the bar that follows. And sometimes the "Low" that I'm getting doesn't correspond to the "Low" of the Short Entry bar, but the bar that follows the entry bar. The same happens when I scale in, just that I ddin't include that part of the script. Why is that?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello 2Look4me,

Thanks for your reply.

Are you seeing this on live data, historical data, strategy analyzer historical data or market replay?

Please post a screenshot of a chart that demonstrates what you are seeing.

Please be sure to post so that we can see the full chart including the instrument, price scale, and timescale.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Paul. This is based on market replay. The inconsistency happens with Long as well as Short entries

Comment

Hello 2Look4me,

Thanks for your reply.

With Market replay and using CalculateOnBarClose = false, you are checking to see if the position is long (or short) and then checking to see if BarsSinceEntry() is equal to 1. If you set the BarsSinceEntry to 0 does that resolve the issue?

Comment

Setting the BarsSinceEntry to "0" will not resolve the issue. It will return the High of the bar prior to BarsSince Entry or at times return the High of the BarsSinceEntry. So it's the same inconsistency that I had when BarsSinceEntry was set to"1".
                          If "Long", I'm looking at the return of the "High" of the BarsSinceEntry or if "Short", the return of the "Low" of the BarsSinceEntry each and everytime.

Thanks

Comment

Hello 2Look4me,

Thanks for your reply.

It looks like the inconsistency relates to the specific timing of the entry, for example, if it should occur at the last tick of the bar the BarsSinceEntry would be based on the following bar instead of the entry bar.

What I suggest is in the block of code where you place the order, to save the entry bar number in a variable and then add another block of code based on the condition if(CurrentBar - savedBar == 1) {get the previous bars High and low values}

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                            166 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post sidlercom80  
                            Started by thread, Yesterday, 11:58 PM
                            0 responses
                            1 view