Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strategy Cancels Stop Loss when Exiting???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy Cancels Stop Loss when Exiting???

In the options, it is checked by default to cancel orders when the strategy terminates.

Well, I stopped my strategy during initial test runs while a trade was on and the strategy canceled the stop loss but left the position active.

That's very dangerous. What if an error occurs and the strategy automatically terminates? That could leave naked positions active.

On the other hand, the strategy sometimes has active limit orders to enter a position. Those DO need to be canceled.

Yikes. PLEASE adjust the feature asap with 2 separate check boxes:

1. Cancel entry orders when strategy terminates. (checkbox) Default checked.

2. Cancel stop loss, trailing stop, and target profit orders when strategy terminates. (checkbox) Default unchecked.

A warning should appear if someone checks the cancel exit orders.

Sincerely,
    Wayne

P.S. It seems I'm forced to uncheck this since my limit orders only stay active a few seconds and less likely to be left hanging. Yikes!

Thanks for the suggestion. This is correct behaviour, if you manually stop your strategy, any position in your account that was opened by the strategy remains.
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ray, thanks for the answer.

I would humbly disagree. Maybe you mean it's an intended feature. However, this is clearly incorrect behavior. NT should endeavor to never leave a naked position. It's absolutely shocking that it cancels a stop loss on a live position.

In the seconds it takes a trader to realize the situation to manually enter a stop loss or exit, the trade could already lose more money than a NinjaTrader license costs.

Sincerely,
      Wayne

Comment

One more thing, on the other hand, if the trader turns off this feature, the system can never be left unattended because it could leave entry orders live if it terminated for any reason.

Those entry orders also lack any stop loss if NT is down. That's equally dangerous.

So it needs the ability to only cancel entry orders.

Or, better yet, it needs to call a method in the strategy that allows it to cancel orders and exit any positions gracefully.

Sincerely,
        Wayne

Comment

There are many different use models. For sure there are situations where someone wants to terminate the strategy and manually manage the position. I see your point about the two options and willl add this to our list for future consideration.
          RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for listening. You really do have fantastic support as everyone says. Keep up the good work.

Sincerely,
            Wayne

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post wzgy0920  
            Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
            5 responses