Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Simultaneous long/short ATM strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simultaneous long/short ATM strategy

I need the simple way to create a script that coincides with the ATM system. I have an ATM that I would like to enter on the same tick at the same time. The first side of the ATM strategy is bullish, and the second ATM strategy is bearish. They should enter at the same time.

It's impossible to enter these ATMs at the same time on the same tick. Can someone post a script that would allow me to drop these in simultaneously?

Much appreciated

Hello OathMark1,

Thank you for writing in. If you enter long and then short with atm strategies, your long stop loss/profit target will likely disappear and you will end up in a flat position with a short stop loss and a short profit target outstanding.

Could you please elaborate on exactly what you are trying to accomplish by this? For example, what would you expect to have concerning your position and your open orders if you entered the way you are describing?

This information will help me to provide you with a more informed answer.
    Michael M.NinjaTrader Quality Assurance

Comment

It's as simple as can be. It's exactly like you think without thinking much about it.

On the long side the profit target and stop are equal ticks from the entry.

On the short side the profit target and stop are equal ticks from the entry.

The short side's stop is where the long side's target is, and the long side's stop is where the short side's target is.

And the stops on both long and short sides reverse when triggered. (Not important to you)

Also there is a runner left on each side after the profit target is hit. (Not important to you)

The only questions are can I hold the short and long position at the same time, and can I get a script that drops them both in at the same time and price?

You may want to just draw it on a piece of paper the way I described and the way I described before.

Comment

Hello OathMark1,

Thanks for your reply.

Regrettably this would not be possible within one strategy.
        Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Because the script can't be tied to the ATM, or because short and long positions can't be held on the same brokerage or is it the same platform? Lead me to see.

Comment

Hello OathMark1,

Thanks for your post.

You cannot be both long and short in the same strategy.
            Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Is that because the platform doesn't allow it, or is it the brokerage?

Comment

Hello OathMark1,

Thank you for your response.

An automated strategy cannot be both long and short in NinjaTrader. This is due to one position being maintained in the strategy.

In reality there is no true way to go both long and short on one instrument on one account. It's just not something that can be done.

You would need two strategies, one trading long and one trading short. Keep in mind the account they are both trading would not be both long and short. So if your short strategy was short 1 and your long strategy was long 1, your account would be flat.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Should I set up a second account?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by techgetgame, Yesterday, 11:42 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post techgetgame  
                  Started by sephichapdson, Yesterday, 11:36 PM
                  0 responses