Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strategy Applied to real time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy Applied to real time

Hello all,

I have several strategies that I would like to run on both historical and real time data. On the simple end I would like to start by having the strategy plot markers on the chart series that I'm working from. No trade executions etc.... Once I have a strategy built is it possible to call from this strategy to generate these markers (I would mostly like to use this in real time) or is this something that I will have to have coded into my indicators? How do alerts figure into this question? I have not used any but have come across the alert screen. Thanks for taking the time to answer a question from an NT new guy.

GuppyDRV

Hello, and thank you for writing in.

To draw signals on the chart without taking executions, orders, or positions, you will want to code an indicator. I am including a link to our help guide section on developing indicators.

I am also including a link to our help guide section on the Alert() method,

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with.
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Alert performance?

Jessica,

Thank you for the timely reply. It looks like I am able to create a strategy and apply the strategy directly to a chart during live trading such that various alerts can be triggered. I have yet to actually create the alerts that I'm looking to implement but baby steps. Are you saying there is a gain in performance or something by coding the indicator directly with the alerts? Or can I use the strategy builder to accomplish what I'm looking for?

If there is a gain in performance with direct indicator coding could I use this work around method to establish what I'm looking for and at a later time have them professionally coded for said gain? Or is any such performance loss/other reason an insurmountable issue from the start, if this is indeed what you're talking about.

GuppyDRV

Comment

Update

O.K. so I can see the difference now but am not sure I can manually create the indicators that I use in my trading so I'm going to have to use the strategy function. If I can get them to test then I can move on from there.

Thanks again.

GuppyDRV

Comment

Hello again GuppyDRV,

If you are using the wizard to create your strategies, you may also be interested in using the Market Analyzer to produce alerts. I am including a link to the relevant section of our training video.

Last edited by NinjaTrader_JessicaP; 01-18-2016, 08:12 AM.
          Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
          11 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post xiinteractive  
          Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
          1 response
          0 likes