Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Alert sent to my cell phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alert sent to my cell phone

I would like to have my strategy send a .txt message to my cell phone whenever a certain set of conditions occurs. How can I do this?

Hello,

Thank you for the question.

This may or may not be possible depending on the cell phone provider you use, in any case if the cell phone gets emails, you could just use email which is likely easier.

You would need to search google to see if your carrier supports email to text messages, here is an example search: "tmobile email to text"

Google just lists instructions in this case saying "Enter the recipient's T-Mobile phone number -- without punctuation -- followed by "@tmomail.net" in the "To" field. ..."

This varies depending on the carrier.

In the strategy, you can then SendMail to the address you figure out using the search, you could use the Syntax from the help guide to form the SendMail statemenet: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...htsub=sendmail

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I am ok with email. I can work on email to sms later.
      I am using Windows 10 and have configured and tested my email to make sure it works. Then I went to the command center options/misc and configured it as per the Windows 10 specs. Please see the attached screenshot. The NT test did not work. Any suggestions?
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

I wanted to check, the menu actually does not save anything until you click OK.

Had you clicked OK, and then gone back into the menu and completed the test? If not please try this process.

Otherwise, was there a Failed to send email message or was it just not received?

Comment

I did as you suggested. Hit OK. Then re-tried and received "Failed to send message"

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

If you are getting the message it had failed to send, one of the settings used may not be correct in this case. You can either try to re verify the information entered with the provider, or try another email provider such as google.

Unfortunately the error message is not very helpful in explaining what specifically prevented the email from being successful in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by rcollen View Post
              I am ok with email. I can work on email to sms later.
              I am using Windows 10 and have configured and tested my email to make sure it works. Then I went to the command center options/misc and configured it as per the Windows 10 specs. Please see the attached screenshot. The NT test did not work. Any suggestions?
              Don't append the port, put it the box that says "Port".

Your settings:
              Server: smtp.comcast.net:587.1
              Port: 25

Do it this way:
              Server: smtp.comcast.net
              Port: 587
              Last edited by bltdavid; 06-17-2016, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Thank you Jessie and bitdavid.

I got the email to work as per bitdavid's suggestion. Now I am having a very strange problem.

I have Verizon service, and they conveniently have an email-to-txt conversion method using @vtext.com. The user simply types in the outgoing message to a 10 digit phone number with @vtext.com and the email goes to the intended phone's text messages. Pretty nifty. In other words, I can email my cell phone. The text of the email shows up on my iPhone "messages" and not as an email. Works great from my computer email account using Comcast as ISP.

However, when I go to the command center/options/misc and "test" the @vtext.com, it does not work with 10 digit numerical @vtext.com. I can "test" my email using [email protected] and it does work just fine. I receive the email on my phone as an email. But when I enter my 10 digit phone number plus @vtext.com, I do not get an iPhone message. Wierd, huh?

Is it possible that your functionality for command center/options/misc will only send emails to conventional email addresses and not ten digit numerical addresses like [email protected]?

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

There is nothing internal preventing any specific address from being used. Mainly it would just need to be a valid address.

If the actual email test is working, that would indicate the email server has been configured correctly for use. The reason it may not be working with the phone number may be the provider does not allow that to be used. Can you try sending an email from your Email client instead of NinjaTrader to the address and see if you get the text?

If you don't, this can likely confirm you can not use the number through the provider. If you can that will be more of a mystery but we could look further into it. Likely it will be the first item or would not work in either situation, in that case you would likely need to use a different email provider to send the messages to a vtext address.

Comment

Jesse,

Yes. I can send to [email protected] from my mail app on my Windows 10 PC and it gets to my iPhone message. I can send an email from the same mail app and get an email on my iPhone. Yet when I use NinjaTrader Control Center/options/misc "test" with [email protected], I do not get a message. However, I can send an email thru NT and get it on my iPhone.

To repeat, I can successfully send emails using both pathways. It is only the numeric email that fails with the NT pathway. It gives me the message "mail sent successfully," but there is no message on my iPhone. When I send an email to [email protected] from the NT pathway, I get the same "mail sent successfully" and also I get an email on my iPhone.

I cannot see how this can be anything other than the the NT functionality. Am I still missing something? Thank you.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

I am unsure of the cause using the number specifically, again there is nothing internal preventing specific addressed from being used.

Instead of using the Test to send this, have you tried to configure the strategy to send the email and then test in Realtime to allow it to send? If this does not work as well I would likely have you email our platform support @ ninjatrader.com for further assistance.

Comment

Yes. I have tried that in Realtime. Same problem.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
                        0 responses
                        1 view
                        0 likes
                        Last Post CortexZenUSA  
                        Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:46 AM
                        0 responses
                        1 view