Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to view Ninjascript in Visual Studio or other editors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, but this doesn't work for me... I wish it would... it would save a lot of messing about!

Under Debug ... Options menu, Debugging>General, the line for Enable Edit & Continue is greyed out... always has been. This seems to be key to your process!
    So I get an error saying code can't be edited whilst debugging, and so need to do the stop/edit/reattach thing.

FYI I'm using the latest VS 2019 Professional edition, and NT8.0.18.1

Comment

Hello tgn55,

The setting you are referring to is a visual studio setting and is not specific to NinjaTrader. This would need to be disabled if you wanted to leave the debugger attached and be able to edit code.

The "Enabled edit and continue" option in the options menu needs to be unchecked, if it is gray you will need to detach the debugger before being able to change the setting.
      If the option is checked and cannot be toggled even when a project is not open, you will need to review visual studio help information to further diagnose that situation.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
      JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi,
        don't you have the check status backwards? Surely from your previous advice re how to do this, (involving hitting Continue, editing etc...) it would need to be Enabled?

Anyway, did some more testing. It is enabled, not greyed out, right up to the point of attaching VS to the Ninja process. And then -unchecked and greyed out, so it seems I'm stuck.

Comment

Hello tgn55,

No it would need to be unchecked.

Have you tried closing the NinjaTrader solution and leaving just visual studio open to toggle the setting? I am not sure what would cause that to be gray other than being attached or in a state where debugger settings cannot be changed.

Here is a quick video (no audio) just demonstrating the difference between checked and unchecked for that setting. https://puu.sh/E8dpu/d5a9879d70.mp4

Comment

Thanks for the vid Jesse... that really helped. Don't know if I'm weird, but it does seem the VS checkbox description is counter-intuitive? If you want to edit and continue, you need to uncheck "Enable edit & continue" ?? Whatever, I can see how make it do what I want now...

Thankyou for your assistance...

Comment

Hello tgn55.

In this situation I can agree, the setting name is counter intuitive to what NinjaTrader is actually doing. In contrast to a normal application being built in visual studio it makes more sense. I believe the goal for that option is to compile then apply changes when you continue debugging but visual studio is not doing any compiling here which is the key difference. You will find some of the features in visual studio may be different due to the context, it is essentially just being used as a fancy text editor here because NT still has to compile.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
              Started by KennyK, 05-29-2017, 02:02 AM
              2 responses
              0 likes