Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Creating a custom draw object that updates itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a custom draw object that updates itself

Would it be technically possible to create a drawing object that updates itself? I have no experience with drawing objects, so I was just wondering if this can be done.

I want to make a line that has some text on it and the text would get updated with the distance (ticks or points) from the current price.

Hello NinjaCustomer,
    Thanks for your post.

A drawing object would not be able to do this on its own. You would need to use the drawing tool inside an indicator and then update the drawing object on each tick.
    Josh G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

can the indicator "adopt' a manually drawn drawing object? I want to be able to draw the lines manually

Comment

NinjaCustomer,

That would not be possible. You could check to see if the line was manually drawn or not but thats about it.
        Josh G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

You can do that by coding a custom drawing tool, then in its OnRender method you'd calculate the distance of the line from the current price, convert to ticks if you want, then draw your text using that value.

To be more efficient you can calculate the price distance inside your drawing tool's AttachedTo.Instrument.MarketData.Update event, which fires less often than OnRender.
          But on today's systems the performance hit will be nothing for such a simple calculation, so there is really no need.

I have done something similar with an alert line (see pic). Custom tools appear in the drawing tool menu and can be drawn manually.

The HorizontalLine tool can be found in the DrawingTools folder inside Lines.cs. From there you can take out the code you need and make your own version.

Comment

great, thanks for the explanation.

Comment

I might just go this way, modify this indicator - it seems to have an interesting concept - it reads existing lines and writes text on the chart

Labeled Horizontal Lines | NinjaTrader Ecosystem
              This indicator will read the horizontal lines that you have applied to a chart and display the price at which that line sits.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
              3 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Zachary  
              Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Aviram Y