• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Failed to find visual studio installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed to find visual studio installation

When I press the "Open project in visual studio" button at the ninja script editor I get a "Failed to find visual studio installation" error, altough I have a VS 2008 installed.

Thanks

Hello kiss987,

Thank you for the post.

If you have 2008 set as your default for opening the .csproj file, it technically should work but this may be too old of a version for NinjaTrader to detect automatically to know it is installed. Generally we would suggest using a newer VS installation such as 2015 or 2017, both have free community editions if you dont want to upgrade a license you have already.

If you want to try to manually use the project in 2008, you can try opening the project: Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\NinjaTrader.Custom.csproj. Once the project is open, please first test if the auto compile is working my modifying an indicator and Saving. This should trigger NinjaTrader to compile as long as the NinjaScript editor is open, if it does not I would suggest updating your visual studio.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

Upgrading to VS2017 solved the problem.

On NT7 after editing my code on visual studio, it was needed to compile the code at the ninja script editor in order to make the changes take effect. Is that needed on NT8 as well?

Comment

Hello kiss987,

Thank you for the post.

In NT7 it was never fully supported to use visual studio so you do need to keep a Stock indicator open such as the ADL and compile from there. The setup of the VS .csproj for NT7 was also important to correct the references and add and custom items needed to the project. I had created a video on this which you can find here: http://www.screencast.com/t/eH7y5cedlzh

In NT8 if you have the NinjaScript editor open, it will compile when Saving files from VS or dropping files into the custom folders. If the NinjaScript editor was not open, you would need to open it and compile to see changes.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
        JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by superkolleech, Today, 12:46 AM
        1 response
        0 likes
        Last Post MojoJojo  
        Started by davidwade, Today, 02:51 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes