• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Using Visual Studio Code

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Visual Studio Code

Curious if anyone has attempted to get Visual Studio Code working as a development editor for NT. Not finding much on this via search.

Visual Studio Code is free to use and thereby much more accessible to average users. It is a very capable C# development editor. Would appreciate if anyone can shed light on what the potential challenges would be to use it for NT development.

Thanks

Hello RandyT,

Thank you for the post.

While I am unsure if anyone has attempted this with VS Code for debugging specifically, you can certainly use it for a text editor just like any other text editor. As long as the NinjaScript editor is open in the background, it should pick up file changes to compile. You just wouldn't have C# autocompletion or intellesense relevant to the NinjaTrader objects in that use case.

You are able to use the Free community edition of Visual Studio with NinjaTrader as that natively works with the NinjaScript editors "Visual Studio" launcher button. If you have not reviewed Microsofts community edition of visual studio, that is generally what we suggest for users who do not want to license visual studio but still want the standard editor features it supplies. This is a new product Microsoft started releasing since VS 2015.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jesse, thanks for the quick response.

Actually, I was confused by the fact that the editor launcher button doesn't seem to find my VS Code install. But after starting VS Code the conventional way, I find that even Intellisense for C# and Ninjascript works. (perhaps better than it does in the NT Editor).

So I am on my way here. Will see if I can get the debugger working.

Thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by xsgex, Yesterday, 09:46 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post xsgex
      by xsgex

Started by Steve L, Yesterday, 09:36 PM
      0 responses