Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Any resources on Market Analyzer Columns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any resources on Market Analyzer Columns?

I have created a bunch of customized indicators that are working as I hoped. I am now wondering if I can use those indicators to create Market Analyzer Columns to scale finding opportunities from my indicators.

I read through a few of the market analyzer columns that are built in, and I don't really understand the structure of these classes. Are there any resources out there that I can learn how the MA columns work and how I can make my own?

Hello ErikY,

Thanks for your post.

There are a couple of approaches here.

Yes, you can create a custom column(s) if you wish. I would suggest looking at existing market analyzer column code in the Ninjascript editor as well as the help guide here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...zer_column.htm

Note: the Ninjascript wizard is a great way to start as it can help you create the structure of the column code: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...?ns_wizard.htm

Alternately, you could use the exiting "Indicator" column where you can select your indicator. You can create a transparent plot in your indicator (and assign values to it) to show what values you wish in the indicator column of the market analyzer. A transparent plot would not affect the display of the indicator when used on the chart and the market analyzer can use any plot to show the value of the plot as well as create cell conditions that react to the value of the plot.
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you Paul. Do you know if there are any performance trade-offs in either approach? I played around with this idea a bit this morning using an indicator plot and its extremely easy and it works very well. I just don't completely understand any performance or technical trade-offs.

Comment

Hello ErikY,

Thanks for your post.

An indicator with a plot can be used on the chart, in the market analyzer and can be used as an input to a strategy. You cannot plot a market analyzer nor use it in a strategy.

Indicators typically use OnBarUpdate and require historical data and at least one day of data will be requested.

If Historical data is not needed, MA Columns using OnMarketData are lighter since historical data is not needed.

Using indicators on a big instrument list in a Market Analyzer can cause a lot of data to be loaded and processed, which would be slower than an MA Column that just uses OnMarketData. (unless you need the historical data).

Comment

Got it, this makes sense. So am I incorrect in thinking that if I need a certain amount of historical data for my indicators to figure out what's going on, say for argument sake 30 days worth of 10 min bars, and I can't calculate without that much data, the performance would be relatively the same between using a custom column vs an indicator plot?

Comment

Hello ErikY,

Thanks for your reply.

I would agree in general.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by cre8able, Today, 03:20 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes