Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Can an Addon install an Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can an Addon install an Indicator

I created an Addon that adds a new panel next to ChartTrader to every chart that gets opened. I'm wondering if it's possible to have the Addon also load a specific indicator into that chart so I don't have to worry about the user having to do it?

I know I can have the Addon go through the list of indicators installed for that chart and tell the user to install it if it's not there, but I'd like it to be more automatic since the Addon relies on the indicator being there.

Thanks,
    Fred

Hello PhineasPhred,

Thank you for your post.

We don't have a supported way to add indicators to a chart externally, and you can't just add it to the ChartControl.Indicators collection. For example, while you could try adding an indicator to ChartControl.Indicators, it would show up in the list, but the script would not be properly added and would not have a panel or have gone through the proper NinjaScript states. I'll leave this thread open ended in case any community members had success attempting this that they can share.

On our end, I have submitted a vote on your behalf for our feature request to be able to programmatically add indicators to a chart from an AddOn. The ticket ID is SFT-1445. We cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment, but we are tracking interest and the ticket ID number will be noted in the help guide when a new build gets released with the feature implemented.

Release Notes - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
    Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you Kate. It would be a good addition and add more flexibility to Addon's.

My main problem is that an Addon can't use OnRender because that doesn't make any sense. But I want to draw on the chart based on how the user uses the Addon. The only real way that I can see to do this is to use an Indicator. So, the user would need install the Addon and then do like they always do and create a template or install the indicator every time manually. As a business, this doesn't make sense. The user should only have to install something once and then have it there all the time.

That's the larger picture. The user installs the Addon and then it will be available whenever they open a new chart. Nothing else to install, no special templates. It's all automatic. Kind of how the ChartTrader works. It's always there. You don't have to think about it. I'd like my Addon to be the same.

Hopefully someone has tackled this before and maybe has an idea. Otherwise I guess I wait for SFT-1445!

Fred

Comment

Hi Kate,

I forgot to ask you, how would I track SFT-1445?

Thanks,
        Fred

Comment

Hello PhineasPhred,

Thank you for your reply.

You can either ask on the forums if there is any update, or send an email to us at platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com with the SFT number and we can check on that for you. It's worth noting that there's not usually much in the way of updates available - adding new features or otherwise making changes to the platform is a slow process and there's no guarantee any particular request will be granted.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
          Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by traderqz, Yesterday, 12:06 AM
          11 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
          Started by PaulMohn, Today, 03:49 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes