Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Anyone interested in the Scroll to Last Bar Arrow being visually emphasized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone interested in the Scroll to Last Bar Arrow being visually emphasized?

HI Guys,

I'm the biggest fan of NT8 and in my view and experience the product and the people behind it are the best in the world developing complex software. .

I worked on Wall St in Trading System Development for 30 years and you guys blow away all the top firms whose names we all know where I was a VP/Dev Manager at a handful.

That's just a simple fact and people can think what they want, I have no dog in this fight just grateful to benefit from it all.

For those of us that trade frequently placing orders based on essentially old price data has been a problem for obvious reasons.

The flaw all mine not the software but for those of us a bit more prone to distraction and making that mistake would really appreciate a little helping that regard.

Having worked in development my guess is changing the static visual characteristics, bigger, different color, blinking would not be a major effort but I don't know the code and it could also be much more complicated.

If anyone is interested in making that arrow more obvious on the screen please weigh in.

If you guys never miss it and have not made bad trades on it then hats off to you.

Thank you

glen
    Last edited by demarcog; 02-28-2021, 12:15 PM.

Originally posted by demarcog View Post
    HI Guys,

If anyone is interested in making that arrow more obvious on the screen please weigh in.

If you guys never miss it and have not made bad trades on it then hats off to you.

Thank you

glen
    Here's a simpler way.
    I don't ever look at that arrow when I open positions.
    But when I make some trades, I always see a current price marker. I need it for decisions.
    There are two states of it = Active/inactive.
    Try to change the color of inactive price marker. Just to know where you are on the chart.

Or even make it disabled:
    protected override void OnRender(ChartControl chartControl, ChartScale chartScale)
    {
    if (BarsArray[0] == null || ChartBars == null || Bars.Instrument == null)
    return;
    if (ChartBars.Bars.GetTime(ChartBars.Count - 1) == ChartBars.Bars.GetTime(ChartBars.ToIndex))
    {
    ChartBars.Properties.PaintPriceMarker = true;
    }
    else ChartBars.Properties.PaintPriceMarker = false;
    }

Comment

Hey What's Up rare312,

Thanks for the response I appreciate it.

I'm new to NT8 and wasted years writing javascript on another platform when I should have been writing in a real programming language.

I just googled the price market in the Data Series and that is a brilliant idea I didn't even realize those markets could be turned off.

One issue is in general with having a bunch of indicators setup and also using chart trader the right price scale on my charts have so much going on that I need to clean up first.

It would be nice to have the market bark ground turn bright red to get my distractible self aware of what's going on.

I appreciate the help, awesome idea and can't thank you enough for the code snippet.

I'm done a far share of programming strategies but there are developers I know and you are probably one that are beyond comprehension how good they are.

I'm using the strategy builder and then unlocking the code to pain the background colors when long and short.

If you have any examples with the code incorporated you are comfortable sharing that would be great.

Where in your strategy would this function go?

thanks again

[email protected]

Comment

Hey What's Up rare312,

Thanks for the response I appreciate it.

I'm new to NT8 and wasted years writing javascript on another platform when I should have been writing in a real programming language.

I just googled the price market in the Data Series and that is a brilliant idea I didn't even realize those markets could be turned off.

One issue is in general with having a bunch of indicators setup and also using chart trader the right price scale on my charts have so much going on that I need to clean up first.

It would be nice to have the market bark ground turn bright red to get my distractible self aware of what's going on.

I appreciate the help, awesome idea and can't thank you enough for the code snippet.

I'm done a far share of programming strategies but there are developers I know and you are probably one that are beyond comprehension how good they are.

I'm using the strategy builder and then unlocking the code to pain the background colors when long and short.

If you have any examples with the code incorporated you are comfortable sharing that would be great.

Where in your strategy would this function go?

thanks again

[email protected]

If you ever used any indicators in NT8, then just add that part of code to them.
        Or use one below.
        Tools -> Import -> NinjaScript Add-On
        Attached Files
        Last edited by rare312; 02-28-2021, 07:40 PM.

Comment

rare312,

Thanks for the attachment.

That my friend is one sweet solution to the problem.

What's blowing my mind right this minute though and apologies for the unrelated tangent but I had issues with OneDrive .

It caused a file sharing conflict that essentially trashed NT8 to the point I could not uninstall, install, repair etc,.

It took all day with 5 support people and I finally was able to rebuild the previous environment.

When I went to looks at the source in Pricemarker.cs Widows intercepts the path info and pushed the code to:

C:\Users\demarcog\OneDrive\Glens Onedrive\NinjaTrader 8\bin/Custom/Indicators

Does anyone know how I can tell if this is a "real" and distinct physical OneDrive path or some circular soft file link to the local drive as the prefix of the C: is really unusual.

Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of OneDrive completely from intercepting my intended path and forcing people to use the MS "cloud"?

I know several NT8 users that had a similar problem with a OneDrive file sharing issue that required them to rebuild NT8 essentially by hand.

As individuals we have zero influence with Microsoft could NT reach out to them regarding this OneDrive problem?

BTW people who don't know better with no point of compression occasionally criticize NT support. If you really want to see how good they are then try an open a ticket with MS and see how that goes.

Thank you,

glen

Comment

Hello demarcog,

There are different approaches to have a visual indication if the ChartBars.ToIndex is not in range. Are you wanting to submit a feature request for the NinjaTrader Development to consider doing this for you?

With OneDrive, this can be uninstalled from the Settings -> Apps window, by clicking on OneDrive and selecting Uninstall. I would recommend backing up your Documents folder first, as OneDrive is known to delete your personal files upon uninstallation.
            Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

I would be interested in the feature there are a few other's I've voted on that are much more important to me. Having the ability to Optimize Time in the strategy analyzer for all three of the Unirenko setitngs. Now you can only specify the tick value and Unirenko as you know you have the offset and reversal settings.

The most important NT issue and maybe one of the most important issues in my literally speaking life right now is be able to back test Unirenko charts accurately.

I posted recently showing an entry /price on a particular bar and recorded the short sell price in the back test report.

Simultaneously in another chart with the same strategy loaded on the same symbol/interval running in real time sim account, the short entry indication and price markers occurred 4 bars later and lower. I also occurs on exiting but was usually only 1 or 2 bars later, and on the short these were on bars going up so the later fill was covering at a less profitable price as was the entry. So a tradeable strategy in real time was a looser.

Support didn't see the fill occurring several bar away as anything suggesting a problem to be investigated and I know they are human but the probability of them being wrong is not quite in my realm of possibilities.

One possibility is for Unirenko on an upbar depending on the settings the highs may have been prices that actually occurred but every bar on on unirenko non reversal (most) bars are the exact same size on an up bar those lows on each bar are painted whether the low occurred or not.

Maybe the back tester logic is the same for Unirenko as any other bar type basically 4 data points OHLC and records the trade price using whatever logic prevails for the particular OHLC combination. For real time execution the price has to be a real bid/offer. That was supports view that the fill occurred 4 bars later because that's where the next bid was to trigger the sell short order. If it were an illiquid instrument I could see the discrepancy but for the NQ and ES was hoping it could be something that I could adjust for in my logic.

The NT developers of features like the AI strategy code builder along with many other amazing coding accomplishments for example Strategy Builder, an amazing accomplishment. I think however challenging if NT decides to allocate the resources to facilitate accurate back tests in the strategy analyzer and/or loaded into a chart the developers will do a great job.

Thank you for the OneDrive help. What I don't understand at all is I did uninstall it. Then I installed NT8 using the customized non OneDrive installation package.

I imported the Price marker indicator earlier today and noticed it went to a OneDrive directory. I attached my Apps and you can see Microsoft OneDrive is not installed.

I also attached an image of my Onedrive Directory tree in File Explorer. I right clicked on the path name on top "edir address" and here is the explicit path for the directory:

C:\Users\demarcog\OneDrive\Glens Onedrive\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\Indicators

I looks like the previously external OneDrive directories are now relocated to my local C: drive with the OneDrive naming conventio

The third Image is of the OneDrive url, as you can still login to www.onedrive.com and access your data without having OneDrive installed but you can see I'm not logged in which is really weird.

A trader friend who I basically get him acclimated to NT8 and he just funded is account and paid for a lifetime lease told me Friday he was waiting to hear back from support regarding a OneDrive issue

Thank you Chelsea I very much appreciate you responding to the post and all the amazing help you always provide.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by demarcog; 03-01-2021, 12:12 AM.

Comment

C:\Users\demarcog\OneDrive\Glens Onedrive\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\Indicators
                I'm going to chime in here with some educated guesses.

Conjecture #1:
                Maybe OneDrive changed your "My Documents" folder to "OneDrive\Glens Onedrive"?

That is, NT is installed under "C:\Users\<username>\My Documents" because that is the
                location of the "My Documents" folder as reported by Windows. I presume NT's installer
                asks Windows for the location of "My Documents" and proceeds to install to that folder,
                whatever that folder may be. Well, perhaps the OneDrive installer mucked with it, and the
                OneDrive uninstaller failed to properly unmuck it?

Maybe the proper fix is to change the Windows registry for My Documents from,

C:\Users\demarcog\OneDrive\Glens Onedrive

back to,

C:\Users\demarcog\My Documents

Why this happened (if indeed that is what happened) well, I dunno, but that is a good
                research question all by itself. Maybe the OneDrive uninstaller has a bug.

Conjecture #2:
                Depending upon how much you have installed on your PC, you might consider removing
                the user account "demarcog" and re-adding it, making sure the user directory is created
                without OneDrive path interference.

Conjecture #3:
                Before trying #2, perform a test by adding a new user to the PC and note the user directory
                that is associated with the new user account. Does it include OneDrive in the path?

Conjecture #4:
                If the new user's account is associated with a pristine path name (ie, a path name that does
                not include OneDrive), then perhaps all that is needed is to adjust the home user directory
                of "demarcog" to remove the offending "OneDrive\Glens Onedrive" portion.

PS: I believe properly adjusting a user's "My Documents" folder requires registry changes.

PPS: I'm still rocking Win7, so forgive me if Win10 has changed the "My Documents" paradigm
                to make these conjectures worthless.

Good luck!

Comment

Does the folder "C:\Users\demarcog\My Documents" exist?

If so, perhaps this folder lost it's special status and is no longer considered
                  (from the Window registry's point of view) the "My Documents" folder.

Perhaps the Windows registry has been changed such that your "My Documents"
                  folder is now reported as "C:\Users\demarcog\OneDrive\Glens Onedrive".

"My Documents" is a slightly overloaded term.

It is a "thing" in the registry that contains a folder path. Each user's My Documents
                  folder is recorded in the Windows registry. Similarly, the My Music, My Videos, and
                  My Pictures are "things" in the registry that contain fully pathed folder names.

But the names of these 4 registry "things" are also the names used for the subfolders.

So, yeah, most of the time, these 4 "things" in the registry use the same name for
                  the subfolder, but that is not a strict requirement. It's more of a coincidence.

Thus, I can see how the OneDrive installer might have changed the registry so that
                  your My Documents folder becomes "C:\Users\demarcog\OneDrive\Glens Onedrive".

If so, presumably your original "C:\Users\demarcog\My Documents" still exists and
                  remains unmolested (and probably unused), frozen in time since your OneDrive
                  installation.

My guess is, for whatever reason, the OneDrive uninstaller did not revert your
                  My Documents registry setting back to "C:\Users\demarcog\My Documents",
                  meaning you'll have to carefully research this issue and perhaps do this final
                  step by hand.

It also may be NT8 will work fine where it is currently installed. That is, this
                  non-standard folder name may not be a real issue, as long as the registry
                  points to it correctly, everything may work perfectly fine.

But that may be hit or miss. It depends which programs have hard-coded
                  the "My Documents" folder name into their code and which programs properly
                  ask Windows for this folder name. NT8 may be fine. Other programs may
                  have problems. Or vice versa, it depends upon the programmers involved.

Are you experiencing any further issues now that OneDrive is uninstalled?

Comment

Hello demarcog,

As long as OneDrive isn't installed it should not be causing any issues.

It's true, OneDrive does not often redirect the locations of the Documents folder back to the original locations after being uninstalled.
                    However, leaving it where it is should be ok. NinjaTrader will be using whatever path Windows has mapped to the Documents folder.

Changing the location can sometimes be done. Below is a publicly available link to a 3rd party site found through a google search of 'windows 10 change documents location'.
                    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

I'm not really aware of a workaround for renko bars in backtesting. The issue is these use RemoveLastBar to re-calculate the open, causing the results to not match real-time.
                    Hi Support I really could use some help from your guys. I have created a strategy based on the unirenko bars and the Fisher Transform indicator. I have led the strategy run the whole night, and when I then compare the strategy performance on the chart that has been running the whole night, and with a new duplicated chart with

Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 03-01-2021, 09:56 AM.
                    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by bltdavid View Post
                      Does the folder "C:\Users\demarcog\My Documents" exist?

Are you experiencing any further issues now that OneDrive is uninstalled?
                      bltdavid,

Thanks everyone for or the help.in weighing in. I need time to digest these insightful responses and I really appreciate the help.

I have been painfully neglecting my trading and today was not the day to get diverted but did want to respond to the question.

See attached "My Documents" looks like it does not physically exist when I File Explored searched on it the OneDrive Documents folder reared it's ugly head.

There are no failures occurring but locating where things are actually running from is a challenge.

I will be back to continue the discussion and could not be more appreciative or grateful for all the help you are both generously providing.

Thank you again.

glen

Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by junkone, Today, 11:37 AM
                      2 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post junkone
                      by junkone