Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

8.0.24.0 install compiler issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.0.24.0 install compiler issues

after installing the new version of Ninja 8.0.24.0 I now get errors from .NETFramework -- see attachement

I was compiling scripts as recent as today before I updated to the new Ninja version without any problems and it was working normally so this is definitely caused by installing the new Ninja version.

Before this error when I launched MSVisual Studio from the Ninjascript editor the Visual Studio complained about targeting .NET 4.8 and that I didn't have some files so I downloaded and installed .NET4.8 developer pack.
    That got me into Visual Studio but now I get this new error when compiling.

I've had problems from previous updates to Ninja with .NET and somehow worked through them after days of fresh installs so this time I thought I should tell you about it and see if you have a recommended way to proceed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ninja1.png
Views:	210
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	1146205
    Attached Files

I found this post https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...out-this-error
    and looked for the files in step 1 and found a 4.6 version in the user/Documents/NinjaTrader 8/bin/Custom/obj/Debug folder
    I removed the file from the Debug folder and it now compiles

Is there anyway that you guys can remove these old versioned files from now on?

Comment

But, uh, that's not their folder, and those are not their files.

Let's think about this.

Does NinjaTrader create the bin/Custom/obj folder?
      (I think not)

Is that folder created by Visual Studio?
      (I think yes)

Shouldn't this fall under responsibility of each individual user?
      (I think yes)

I mean, think about it ... NinjaTrader already has a long history
      of not touching things it doesn't own.

Your request above means you're asking them to violate that
      rule and delete the "obj" folder if it exists.

Well, ok, so you say let's have the installer delete the "obj"
      folder if it exists. Still, you're asking for an exception to their
      long standing hands-off policy.

I don't think your request is a good idea.

NinjaTrader should stick to the same historical policy:
      if they didn't create it they don't touch it.

No exceptions.
      Life as a developer is actually easier if there are no exceptions.

Last edited by bltdavid; 03-11-2021, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Hello dtl-saw,

Thanks for your post.

When using Visual Studio for code editing, we often recommend leaving the Ninjascript Editor open and to save files in Visual Studio rather than to compile in Visual Studio. The NinjaScript Editor will automatically compile and apply NinjaScript wrappers to indicators when files are saved.

We haven't seen this come up when building through the NinjaScript Editor or by simply using the Visual Studio button or enabling Debug Mode in the NinjaScript Editor. If files are placed in the bin/Custom folder externally, it can carry risk to try and protect against these compile errors but still allow other functionality that someone else may be depending on.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.
        JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for your reply Jim.
          I run VS with a Ninja editor open and so saving in VS and watching Ninja editor compile automatically is my standard workflow.

Did you see in my post about the .NET4.8 issue with VS and that I had to download and install the .NET4.8 developer pack?
          I was just compiling with VS the same day before I installed the update to Ninja and my Ninja version was the most recent before the update.
          The VS didn't complain about .NET4.8 before the update and was working fine, but after the update something went wrong and I had to install the .NET4.8 developer pack.
          Does that sound like anything that should be happening or is there something about updating Ninja that would cause this to happen.
          I don't keep track of all the versions of everything but I know that using VS is a must for me and that I need it to keep working with Ninja.

So can you explain why the .NET4.8 developer pack needed installing and if I should expect it to happen in future Ninja updates and if it's normal behavior then I won't worry about it.

Comment

Hello dtl-saw,

There isn't specific anything that would come to mind for me that would explain a need to install the developer pack after updating NinjaTrader to Release 24.

We updated to using .NET 4.8 in Release 23. I would expect any need to install other .NET development related packages to come up then. You may have been targeting 4.6.1 in the past and building within Visual Studio could have put the 4.6.1 AssemblyAttributes file in the bin/Custom folder, and then after updating to .NET 4.8 and compiling a 4.8 AssemblyAttributes file was added which then creates the conflict and compile error in the NinjaScript Editor.

We are considering changes so the NinjaScript Editor can ignore an unwanted AssemblyAttribute file.

I do not have enough information regarding what you were targeting before updating to Release 24 and installing the .NET 4.8 developer pack. Since we did update to .NET 4.8 in Release 23, that is when we could/should start targeting .NET 4.8 for the NinjaTrader custom assembly.

.NET 4.8 was chosen so we could still support Windows 8.1 operating systems. If another .NET upgrade is considered, it would likely be inline with Microsoft's minimum supported operating system.
            JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by dustydbayer, Today, 01:59 AM
            0 responses
            1 view
            0 likes
            Last Post dustydbayer  
            Started by inanazsocial, Today, 01:15 AM
            0 responses