Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NT8 freeze on VS debug mode ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 freeze on VS debug mode ?

Hello,

Why NT8 (8.0.22.2) freezes during debug mode ? Why am I seeing these black docks on each window in NT8 ? Is this normal ?
    Nothing is manually interactable in NT8 during this behavior.
    What is XAML Binding Failure means on bottom left corner of VS screen ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	NT8_During_Debug_Mode.png
Views:	351
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	1147610Click image for larger version

Name:	VS8_During_Debug_Mode.png
Views:	335
Size:	924.9 KB
ID:	1147611
    Devdas
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Devdas

Hello devdas,

The black bars on the window are part of visual studios xaml debugging tools. You can just turn that feature off in visual studio if you dont want to see it. In the Options choose Debugging -> General and Uncheck Enable UI Debugging Tools for XAML (towards the bottom of the list). The way NinjaScript can use xaml makes these tools not very useful in NinjaTrader, they would generally be used in your own external WPF application during development.

The interface should be frozen if you are using breakpoints or have paused execution in visual studio. Debug mode allows visual studio to attach to the process and break execution when you are debugging it. In your image you can see the execution is paused, the Continue button is present in the toolbar.

The xaml binding failures would be only helpful in your own external WPF applications. You could research that in Microsoft documentation if it is something you may want to learn more about how its used. Generally none of the xaml tools in visual studio will work directly with NinjaScript due to how xaml needs to be designed when used from NinjaScript.

I look forward to being of further assistance.

JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi. I am facing the same problem - when I start debugger in Visual Studio, I can't interact with NT windows, they don't react on my actions. I am using Visual Studio Community 2019 (version 16.10.4) and NinjaTrader 8.0.24.0. I disabled UI debugging (in HOT reload section) and I don't see any black boxes but still can't do anything with NT (I need to set breakpoint and then launch my strategy in a backtest mode but can't click the button "run").

Comment

Hello alvik48,

Are you seeing the "Continue" button in the visual studio toolbar? If the execution is paused then what you described is normal.

Comment

No, the "Continue" button is disabled. When I stop debugging, NinjaTrader becomes active again.

Comment

Hello alvik48,

You may want to try and reset the visual studio settings to default to check if that helps. I am not aware of what else would cause the platform to be locked except for pausing the execution while attached. That would occur based on breakpoints or using the pause in visual studio.

Comment

So restart of both NT and VS helped, now everything works (without reset of any settings).

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
              5 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Zachary  
              Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
              4 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Aviram Y