Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Gaps between Data Feed and Brokerage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaps between Data Feed and Brokerage

I am using NT8 with Kinetick data feed to manage strategies executed with Interactive Brokers.

I am consistently running into issues where automated strategies will fail due to the current price from Kinetick being used to determine the order and then the order failing with Interactive Brokers when the requested price is not in an acceptable range (ex: stop loss is greater than current price or target is below current price) with trailing stops, parabolic stops or any other order type where the price is somewhat dynamic based on the price movement.

Are there any suggested library tools / techniques that could be useful for addressing this? I know that in ATM there is the ability to "chase" the price "on touch" is this exposed through the classes available and are there any examples of this?

As always, thank you for your help.

Hello jransom,

Thank you for your post.

There is not a "Chase" or "Chase If Touched" method, but if you've an an ATM Strategy template saved with your desired chase settings, you can just call this template using ATM Strategy method.

You can see an example of how to use an ATM under New > NinjaScript Editor > Strategy > SampleATMStrategy

I'm also providing a link to our Help Guide on ATM Strategy methods for more information:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/atm_strategy_methods.htm

If you would like to emulate the Chase/Chase If Touched in a managed order entry method, you would need to custom program this to change the order according to the current price.

It sounds, however, like you may be experiencing rendering delay which can cause data to be delayed in processing. Are you running many items on the chart at the same time as the strategy? Are bars appearing at the correct times if you're using Time based bars?

If you're regularly running into this issue, placing stops and targets further from the current price would generally be recommended. However, in volatile markets there's always the chance that by the time your order reaches the broker that the price may have changes and stops/targets may be on the wrong side of the market.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to assisting you further.
    Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi
      Im considering Kinteick, IQfeed for trading through NT8, IBKR platforms. Say in the given second the price of a stock is 1.1 in Kinetick and in IBKR it is 1.15,the orders would get cancelled as i have seen in paper trading. How to avoid this? I assume only for NT8 real time data feeds are recommended, is that right?
      Any other solution to slippages or to avoid orders getting cancelled due to differences in filling the orders between NT8, IBKR?

Comment

Hello honest-trader,

Thank you for your reply.

There's always a chance the price could move in the time between an order being triggered in NinjaTrader and being received by your broker, regardless of what data feed you're using. If you're seeing a difference in prices between IBKR and NinjaTrader, this may be an indicator that there is a rendering delay going on. What I would suggest to check this would be to start the platform in Safe mode to test.

Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:
        • Loading workspaces.
        • Connecting on start-up.
        • Loading custom assemblies.
        • Getting instrument updates from the server.
        To enable safe mode, please use the following steps:
        • Exit NinjaTrader.
        • Hold the CONTROL key and double click the NinjaTrader icon.
        • Keep the CONTROL key held down until you see the Control Center.
        • You can verify you are in safe mode by going to Help -> About.
        Once in safe mode, you will only see the Control Center. Please manually connect to your data feed and open a chart, then compare the price movements. It should be noted that different data feeds are expected to have some small differences due to differences in how they filter ticks or supply data, however, they should pretty much show the same price.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Hi
          In order to avoid price difference issues between Kinetick live feed vs IBKR feed, is it possible to use Kinetick live/RT feed on IBKR?
          If below is still true then please confirm
          pretty much sums it up. Stock IB data flow sucks, so my question is, if i invest into Kinetic data feed, can I still execute IB trades inside NT with a kinetic feed? IB told me today they dont offer Kinetic data option, onviously NT does, but was told IB to execute inm NT you need the IB data. very confused, love this
          Last edited by honest-trader; 04-19-2021, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Hello honest-trader,

Thank you for your reply.

While I can't definitively say for certain, as I'm not as familiar with the IBKR software as I am with NinjaTrader, I don't believe that would be possible to connect your Kinetick feed to IBKR.

That being said, the responses by NinjaTrader staff in the thread you linked would still be true.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
            4 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post DynamicTest  
            Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
            4 responses
            0 likes