Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Moving Indicators and Strategies to Folders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Indicators and Strategies to Folders

I've created numerous custom indicators and strategies, and at the time I didn't realize I could create separate folders for them, so they are all in the main folders. Now that they're already created, I don't see any way to move them (i.e. no cut/paste, etc.). How do I go about moving my indicators and strategies to new folders?

Thanks.

Hello sjeffblack,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Since this is more a general development inquiry, I've moved it to the more appropriate forum.

From within the NinjaScript Editor window, in the right hand NinjaScript Explorer pane, right click on the main folder for the script type you want to create a subfolder for. Give the folder a name. Once complete, you should see your new subfolder in the list at the top, right under the main folder. Once you have that set up, you should be able to simply drag and drop custom indicators/strategies into the appropriate folder.

Please see our help guide here for further details:

Note: you should not manually create folders in the NinjaTrader 8 > bin > Custom subfolders and relocate scripts as these changes will not be reflected in the Editor.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
    Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Kate. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the drag and drop functionality works at all. My indicators are compiled and closed and my new folder is nested under the Indicators main folder. It doesn't matter if I left-click or right-click (and hold the button down) and try to drag my custom indicator. It's not being "grabbed", and therefore nothing is dragging.

Comment

Hello sjeffblack,

Thank you for your reply.

Here's a short video of what I see on my version:

I'd check to ensure you're on the latest version of the software first - the current version is 8.0.24.3. You can check your version number under Help > About. If you're on a different version, please update.

To update NinjaTrader, please follow the steps below:
        • First, copy your license key from NinjaTrader under Help> License Key then exit NinjaTrader
        • Click on the link: https://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect
        • Enter your license key and press Submit
        • Select 'Download'
        • Critical: Before running the installer, ensure NinjaTrader is closed.
        If you are currently on the correct version, please shut down and restart NinjaTrader, open a new NinjaScript editor and test again.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to assisting you further.
        Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Interesting. It's definitely not working for me. I'm not overly concerned about it. I can just copy my code, delete my indicators and then recreate them in the new folder. I'd be curious to know if anyone else is having this problem though.

And yes, I know how to drag and drop

Comment

Hi Kate,

I posted that last reply a little too quickly. I hadn't gotten out and back in again (I did confirm that I'm on the most current version). After exiting and getting back in again, everything worked. I noticed that for some reason my new folder was no longer there, which is probably why it wasn't working before. That's a different issue though. I recreated the folder and tried moving an indicator to it, and everything worked.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

This doesn't work for me either. Current version, all compiled, etc. etc. I can't move hand-coded cscripts to my new sub-folder , and when I close the editor or the platform and reopen, my new sub-folder has disappeared.

Comment

Hello trader3000a,

The folder will disappear when re-opening the editor if there is nothing in the folder, but shouldn't disappear if you have moved a script into it before closing the editor.

As far as being unable to move scripts, may I have you run the repair from the 8.0.26.1 installer, then create a new folder, create a new script, and try and move the script into the folder?
                (If this does work, it might be something in your specific script, if this does not work there may be something within the environment folder causing an issue)

Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Chelsea, I updated, and followed your directions. Still can't move strats or indies to new sub folders.

Comment

Hello trader3000a,

To confirm, you have selected only one script in the NinjaScript Editor, and you are dragging and dropping this into the new folder, is this correct?

This might mean you have something in NinjaTrader preventing this. (I have seen 3rd party addons cause this behavior before)

Please create a temporary new environment folder.

Below is a link to a forum post with steps to rename the NinjaTrader folder and generate a new folder.

In the new environment, copy over your one script and then try moving this into a new folder.
                    This should work correctly, but let me know if it does not.

From there, it would be trial and error to copy over scripts until the one causing the behavior is identified.

Comment

Hi Chelsea,
                      I took a look in the custom strattegies folder, and my vanished empty subfolder was there. I moved a file into it, and the subfolder instantly appeared in the editor, with the file in it. I then proceeded to the strat analyzer, navigated to the folder, then the strat. file, ran it, and everything worked.
                      I'm thinking I remember hearing that this isn't supposed to work, or isn't advised, but all is well after closing and re-opening NT and trying it again. Any thoughts? I still can't drag and drop in the editor, however.
                      I will try to get around to the steps above, but it's a bit of a chore. I'll let you know if i do.
                      David

Comment

Hello David,

Placing in a physical folder within the Indicators or Strategies (or other subfolders) is fine.
                        Just generally, we do not advise manually modifying the file system as this can lead to compile errors for the inexperienced, but it does work.

I am not able to reproduce and I am able to drag and drop into folders.

May I confirm you are using 8.0.26.1?

If so, I would like to schedule a remote session to confirm on your end you have a clean environment folder and you are testing a new script.
                        Please send an email to scriptingsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com, Attn ChelseaB, and include a link to this forum post.

Comment

Hi Chelsea, I did a fresh install and still can't use drag and drop in the editor. Can we schedule that session? I'm using 8.0.26.1 64-bit

Comment

Hello trader3000a ,

Please send an email to scriptingsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com, Attn ChelseaB, and include a link to this forum post.

Comment

Community,

For resolution on this thread, on our call we were able to drag and drop files without issue.

Should you be having an issue, please send an email to scriptingsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com so we may ensure you are following the proper steps.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Rapine Heihei, 04-23-2024, 07:51 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Max238
                              by Max238

Started by Shansen, 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM
                              24 responses