Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Better support for stocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better support for stocks

Hi guys,

Sorry for the long post, but I think this is very important to mention.

Ninjatrader is an awesome software. I know, I know, most of us are trading futures / forex, Ninjatrader is not intended to be DAS Trader, Ninjatrader has its own niche and is better in its field than others, etc.

But the thing is that Ninjatrader is an incredible, top-notch and powerful software for trading stocks... If you are some kind of a configuration wizard. When I first tried the demo of Ninjatrader (and the demo of several other trading platforms in parallel), it was awesome, I thought: ok great I have found it, this will be the best choice on the long term for my trading platform.

However, I am trading equities only - this is what I love - I have found that in the real field (out of simulation), there was at least half of the features that were not really working truly for me. Fortunately, I have programming skills in python and I have been able to modify in ninjascript all the features that were not working specifically on stocks, to add a new behavior to the software or modify the existing functions. After maybe 3-4 months, I can say that Ninjatrader does everything - and more! - that I was hoping for when I have bought my license. But I am writing this post because I am sure many equities traders have never been able to set up the software correctly and must have left this platform, simply because it was not working in basic areas that you just need to work for trading. So here are some of the fields that are missing for trading stocks IMO, that I needed to change by ninjascript or extra configuration:

- need to populate the nasdaq / nyse / amex database manually (I could not believe this at first haha), and update any new ticker manually at IPO's
    - charts simply don't work with the Interactive Brokers data feed, because of IBKR limitations. It took me 2 weeks to figure out that this data feed was the cause of all my problems with the platform, nothing was working! Please don't say that it can work! It does not work! Just tell us frankly that we need Kinetick subscription for reliable software performance!
    - ATM do not work with equities After Hours. Don't let any menu option, configuration web page, forum post deceive you, it simply comes down to the fact that ninjatrader cannot place an limit sell or limit buy order with equities only outside of regular trading hours. As simple as that. It was so easy to configure a ninjatrader strategy that allows that, given the fact that I am a python programmer... I am sure the NT team would do it even more easily than me, in less time lol.
    - value of an order indicated somewhere (stock price multiplied by number of shares ordered...)
    - This one is mind-bending for me, but I understand it's because I am trading stocks. But why isn't there no fundamental window for symbols that we could put beside the chart (or even better on chart trader)? No easy way to see the market cap, float of the stocks while it's all available by default in the market analyzer.

I think that it's great that Ninjatrader is the best in what it does - trading futures - and it should continue to focus on that for the majority of the users, and long-time traders that constitute the core of the user base. But it would be so great to just raise the level of the lower-third a little bit over the time, to just insert some "Quality-Of-Life" basic features that are missing for stock traders. Not asking much! Just the basics

Ninjatrader has unmatched features (alerts and orders on indicators, attaching indicators, ATM, ninjascript, drawings on indicator panels) that also makes it the most powerful platform, by far, that I have tried for trading stocks. I don't want to remove dev firepower from futures or anything, but just one good junior or mid-level programmer dedicated to improving some basic features for stock traders would be a blessing haha.

Good luck with your trading, and thanks for the awesome software!
    Last edited by RT001; 11-13-2021, 09:17 AM.

Hello RT001,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide this feedback.

I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team. I will follow up with an internal tracking number for your reference as soon as it is created.

You can use Interactive Brokers to load chart data, however historical tick data is not supported. This means any tick based chart will not load historical data. Please see the link below under 'Understanding the data provided by your connectivity provider' which shows supported providers and what data they support.

If data is not loaded in a minute or daily based chart, what instrument is selected? Do you load the requested data if you test a minute or daily AAPL chart?

Can you please clarify what exactly you mean with "after hours". Do you refer after 4:00pm US Eastern or 8:00pm US Eastern? Realtime data is required to submit orders in the NinjaTrader platform. If no realtime data is received, you can't submit orders.

When you say ATM's do not work, am I correct your entry order fills and then no ATM orders are submitted? Do you have NinjaTrader running and connected when the entry order fills?
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jason,

thank you very much for taking the time to hear my voice!

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
      If data is not loaded in a minute or daily based chart, what instrument is selected? Do you load the requested data if you test a minute or daily AAPL chart?
      The problem comes usually (from memory, it's been a long time since I haven't used that data feed), if you are looking at charts on a minute or couple of minutes time frame. Then you load a new symbol, you hit the ridiculous IBRK data limitation of 100 bars or so per minute, then it freezes all your other charts too, etc, etc. In summary, that data feed is just too poor for someone looking at intraday charts, but it's hard to understand the impact it has (freezing everything in ninjatrader) for a newbie just starting. It took me 1-2 weeks to understand that was the source of the problems...

Can you please clarify what exactly you mean with "after hours". Do you refer after 4:00pm US Eastern or 8:00pm US Eastern?
      Post-market 4pm to 8pm US Eastern, and pre-market 4am to 9:30am US Eastern.

When you say ATM's do not work, am I correct your entry order fills and then no ATM orders are submitted? Do you have NinjaTrader running and connected when the entry order fills?
      All the ATM orders for equities outside of RTH are submitted as market orders. It's totally useless for equities, and the "Stop limit for stop loss" option in the ATM menu is misleading, even if the doc states that this option does not work with equities. It was so easy for me to program a stop loss using limit orders for equities outside of RTH in ninjascript, the time needed to make this option compatible with equities must not be that far from the time it takes to write in the documentation that it is not compatible - I might be missing something that causes an issue with other brokers though. I don't mean to be sarcastic, it's just that I have written dozens of posts on this forum when I started, just to understand what was not possible in the software with equities specifically in my starting setup.

Thanks! Have a great week.
      Last edited by RT001; 11-14-2021, 03:00 PM.

Comment

I see, thank you for clarifying. Yes, unfortunately Interactive Brokers has a data limitation.

Stop limit orders for stop loss orders of an ATM strategy can't be used for stocks (or forex). A stop market order will be used instead. Please see the link below.

Note: The "Stop Limit for Stop Loss" will not apply to Equities or Forex instruments - if this property is enabled when trading a stock or forex instrument, Stop Market orders will be used, instead.

Have a great week as well.

Comment

The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-5384. Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting Platform Support if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by algospoke, 04-17-2024, 06:40 PM
          6 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post algospoke  
          Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
          4 responses
          0 likes