Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NT is very nearly unusable for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT is very nearly unusable for me

I have inquired about this in the platform thread. It seems there is no OEM remedy. I could use some guidance on how to proceed these 2 issues

1) Scroll inadvertently incrementing/decrementing position size in the chart trader. 4 times out of 5 I have the presence of mind to click on something to take focus from the text box, but that one time can totally blow my trading strategy. Considering that I might scalp a hundred times a day, that's significant!

Is the chart trader in a class that is accessible to using in a strategy, indicator or add-on? Would it be practical to create a wrapper class using the chart trader class and overlay the existing text box with a roll my own text box to eliminate scroll from incrementing/decrementing the position size? Can you think of some other approach that might be easier? I would like to avoid using unmanaged trades.

I have a box full of mice. All have scroll wheels. I cannot find one on Amazon. I don't consider that a proper solution, but it seems I have no choice. I cannot find a way to disable the mouse from the OS. Otherwise, taking apart a mouse and physically disabling the wheel is about the only other option I have. Seriously... this one issue will make me not use NT. Blowing an account over such a silly oversight is irresponsible.

2) "Trade Performance" is a good example of "garbage in, garbage out." Since the majority of values calculated and displayed on the summary tab are based on "number of trades" if the number of trades is wrong, so is the calculated data in the "Trade Performance." Specifically, a trade of multiple contracts will typically get broken up. I get that that is coming from the exchange. But NT has all the necessary data to reconstruct those orders to extract the actual number of trades. I could do one trade of 10 contracts with a market order for exit and entry (no scaling). And yet, the summary tab might indicate that I had 10 winners or 10 losers. That GREATLY skews the data I need to monitor my trade activity. What would be the most convenient and accessible way (which class) to extract those trades with all the other underlying trade data (price, time order ID etc)? Should I look for the confirmation of orders filled? Or use the executions tab to reconstruct the actual trade? If I had that data I know how to write it to a text file for import to a spreadsheet or to just print to the output window.

<eta> Also, the cursor (arrow) keys should likewise not be linked to increment/decrementing as it is used so much with scrolling charts. I've disabled a mouse but this is so inconvenient. I use the wheel for everything else I do on my computer as well scrolling web browser etc.
    Last edited by Chippy; 05-19-2022, 10:08 AM.

Hi Chippy, thanks for posting. The quantity will not change from a scroll if it is not focused. Click on the chart area to remove the focus from chart trader. There is no supported way of disabling this.

2. The SystemPerformance class holds all trades made by the strategy, real time and historical. Use this class to access the trade data:

Kind regards,
    -ChrisL
    Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChrisL View Post
      Hi Chippy, thanks for posting. The quantity will not change from a scroll if it is not focused. Click on the chart area to remove the focus from chart trader. There is no supported way of disabling this.

2. The SystemPerformance class holds all trades made by the strategy, real time and historical. Use this class to access the trade data:

Kind regards,
      -ChrisL
      Thanks. I'm aware of how focus works. That's not the problem. It's like having a single pedal in your car for brake and accelerator. Scroll has a very useful and often use function. Dual implementation (scrolling and incrementing/decrementing) is just asking for trouble as my sim account results will atest. I cannot trade my live NT account until this is resolved. In spite of working with this issue for the last 3 days, I often forget to move focus before clicking the Market order button. Is it possible to use the OnRender() to draw a box on top of the position size element (in chart trader), then accept typed input through Ninjascript and then use that input to execute an atm strategy without having to get into unmanaged trades?

I will look into the SystemPerformance class. That is helpful, but the much greater issue I am having is with the scrolling. Understand that I often change position size for my atm strategies before every trade and this can happen 5 or 6 times in the course of 2 minutes. It is very easy to forget to click another window.

Comment

Hi Chippy, I'm sorry but that's how WPF and the platform works. Do not scroll the mouse wheel or unfocus the Quantity selector in Chart Trader to avoid changing position size.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChrisL View Post
          Hi Chippy, I'm sorry but that's how WPF and the platform works. Do not scroll the mouse wheel or unfocus the Quantity selector in Chart Trader to avoid changing position size.
          I understand that but it doesn't answer the question that I asked, "Is it possible to use the OnRender() to draw a box on top of the position size element (in chart trader), then accept typed input through Ninjascript and then use that input to execute an atm strategy without having to get into unmanaged trades?"

Comment

Hi Chippy, thanks for your reply. No, it's not possible to do that because the render viewport is clipped to chart area only.

Comment

Great. Thank you

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by kevinenergy, 02-17-2023, 12:42 PM
              118 responses
              1 like
              Last Post kevinenergy  
              Started by briansaul, Today, 05:31 AM