Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Synchronizing Ninjascript libraries on Developer and Trader workstations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synchronizing Ninjascript libraries on Developer and Trader workstations

Hello,

NT8 allows subfolders under NinjaScript AddOn, Strategy, Indicator folders...and it seems that these are important to maintain across machines....??

I have two machines, one to write and test new code, and another for Trading.

I call these Developer and Trader.

On the Developer machine I have subfolders, for example...in the Indicator folder, for AutoTrader (robot development) and Trader (discretionary) .

When I move scripts from the Developer to the Trader machine...what rules do I need to follow to keep things running smoothly?

Thx.

Hello llanqui,

When you move items to the other machine you should be following the process of export as source code from the primary machine and then import the zip file on the other machine. When using sub folders that is specifically important so that structure is kept, you can't manually create sub folders in windows and just drop files into the folders. The platform needs to do the folder management so using the export/import tool is important for that task.

If the purpose is to not allow the trader to edit the file then there will also not be any subfolders transferred but just the compiled assembly, that would be if you selected compiled during the export.

JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ok, I'm glad I asked...

(this is only for my internal use...I don't sell my components....so I don't need a compiled export...)

it seems that the folder coorelates to a C# sub-NameSpace?

And It seems on the export I have to select each ninjacript file with a checkbox?

I have at least 50 ninjascript files to manage and would like to do it the following way instead...this way will be easier for me...as I am an active developer (porting NT7) and need to keep the machines in synch when I'm ready to move code to "production"....

as well sometimes I may want to refresh ALL the Ninjascript at once on the Trader.Machine (i.e. to move the entire (my Custom) Developer.Ninjascript)

1) mirror the same file structure on Trader.Machine as on Developer.Machine (do this within NT 8 and not via NT on the specific machine)

2) use file manager to move a group of selected files from the Developer.Machine to the identical folder on the Trader.Machine

3) compile all on Trader.Machine

4) seems to me this would work.... as long as I'm careful with to exactly match the folders?

alternately, could I request that Ninja implement the export selection with the native file manager dialog that allows multi select (i.e. not a Ninja Dialog check boxes)

Comment

Hello llanqui,

it seems that the folder coorelates to a C# sub-NameSpace?
        ​Yes however the NinjaScript editor specifically needs to create the folder, as mentioned you can't just make folders and drop files into them that wont work. If a folder did not exist on the target machine you would have to use the editor to create that first, this is why the export/import is importatnt as it does that step for you.

And It seems on the export I have to select each ninjacript file with a checkbox?
        ​Yes

I have at least 50 ninjascript files to manage and would like to do it the following way instead...this way will be easier for me...as I am an active developer (porting NT7) and need to keep the machines in synch when I'm ready to move code to "production"....

You can use the backup/restore tool as well if you are trying to make a copy of your current pc to a different pc however that includes all NinjaScript items and may cause compile errors that would need corrected after restoring. Its best to just use the export tool for targeted exports.

JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes
        Last Post chbruno
        by chbruno

Started by josh18955, 03-25-2023, 11:16 AM