Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Convert ver 7 indicator to ver 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convert ver 7 indicator to ver 8

My trading had relied heavily on the CCI panel on my NT range-bar charts. I use a custom indicator called CCI4RangeBars which I downloaded from the forum, it is (attached), to predict the CCI angle at bar-close. It doesn't work in version 8. Any help greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files

Hello Flash,

Thank you for the inquiry.

The item not working in NinjaTrader 8 would be expected, NinjaScript items from NT7 would need to be re developed for NT8 to take advantage of the changes in NinjaScript.

In this case you would likely need to contact the original developer of this item to see if they have released an NT8 version. Otherwise you would also have the options to hire a developer who could convert the item for you and make any changes needed. The other option would be to post in the forum as you have in case a community member would like to take on the project. I will leave this thread open to any members who may want to assist in converting this item.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

no help whatsoever

Thank you for the reply Jesse, but with respect, you folks have been of no help whatsoever, since imposing version 8 and destroying my chart set up that I developed over my many years as a NT subscriber and more recently as a lifetime license-holder. Your constant refrain of "you are on your own, good luck!" is getting tiring.

Comment

You cannot honestly expect NT staff to convert everyone's NT7 scripts to NT8 can you? To bring NT8 into modern capabilities there are changes then make NT7 indicators totally incompatible. I know it is a hassle but necessary.
        eDanny
        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

Originally posted by eDanny View Post
          You cannot honestly expect NT staff to convert everyone's NT7 scripts to NT8 can you? To bring NT8 into modern capabilities there are changes then make NT7 indicators totally incompatible. I know it is a hassle but necessary.
          Hi, eDanny;

Agree. However, considering that NT8 is not quite up to snuff, they are busy fixing the bugs (or higher priorities) and have no time for conversions. But I see that the support is heavily involved helping with and answering conversion related questions. Many live traders are heavily invested in NT7 add-ons and they are reluctant to switch to NT8 unless there are some incentives.

NT8 was a major shift and short of being an efficient programmer it only benefits Third Party developers in that regard. NinjaTrader should at least convert all their TASC contributed indicators for the past 4-5 years since NT7 has been around so that a NT8 transition is easy for many customers.

btw, most of those members who used to help others are developers now, so very little free help is available these days.

Cheeers!
          Last edited by aligator; 02-08-2017, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
            My trading had relied heavily on the CCI panel on my NT range-bar charts. I use a custom indicator called CCI4RangeBars which I downloaded from the forum, it is (attached), to predict the CCI angle at bar-close. It doesn't work in version 8. Any help greatly appreciated!
            Flash,

Here is a quick simple conversion to NT8 that I made and works fine, although it can use some cleaning.

Cheers!
            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Aligator! The indicator you repaired for me works great now on my V8 charts.

Could you point us to some resource where we non programmers could learn to make such alterations to our now useless V7 custom indicators? I myself have one more such indicator that needs this treatment (attached).
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Flash; 02-10-2017, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Thank you Aligator! The indicator you repaired for me works great now on my V8 charts.

Could you point us to some resource where we non programmers could learn to make such alterations to our now useless V7 custom indicators? I myself have one more such indicator that needs this treatment (attached).
                There is a thread here with a conversion tool. Download and read the entire thread. You still have to do some learning and using search examples, no way around it.

http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...69&postcount=5

Cheer!
                Last edited by aligator; 01-19-2019, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I myself have one more such indicator that needs this treatment (attached).
                  Flash,

jtRangeMarker8 already available in public, just do a search for the file.

Comment

Thanks again aligator. My search of the public forum for the jtRangeMarker8 indicator came up empty, my screenshot attached.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Flash; 02-12-2017, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Flash,
                      I also have relied upon the CCI4RangeBars indicator in NT7 and would appreciate your assistance in converting it to NT8. I see you received a .cs file from Aligator which you were able to utilize in NT8. I have not been so fortunate and however I might try, NT8 produced an error message that it was an old indicator and not compatible with NT8. I would grateful if you could advise how you were able to accomplish getting it to load into NT8.
                      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by steveg View Post
                        Flash,
                        I also have relied upon the CCI4RangeBars indicator in NT7 and would appreciate your assistance in converting it to NT8. I see you received a .cs file from Aligator which you were able to utilize in NT8. I have not been so fortunate and however I might try, NT8 produced an error message that it was an old indicator and not compatible with NT8. I would grateful if you could advise how you were able to accomplish getting it to load into NT8.
                        Thanks
                        Steve,

Just download the file in post #1 and manually copy and past it in NT8..bin/Custom/Indicators folder then open the NT8 editor and compile (F5) any indicator and it should compile fine then.

Comment

Hello Aligator. First, I appreciate you posting the indicator and now for telling me how to import it. Thanks.

Comment

Aligator,

After spinning my wheels for hours, I am writing to request your help to make either the CCI4RangeBars indicator or the mahCCI14RangeBarsNT8 indicator work for me. Hopefully, I am not asking for too much. Coding, even with the help of the NinjaScript Editor, is not in my DNA.

As to the CCI4RangeBars indicator that I have been using for years in NT7, I just couldn't correct all of the errors listed by the Editor trying to convert it to NT8.

As to the mahCCI14RangeBarsNT8 indicator, I found that it just didn't work accurately. Here is what I found: With the CCI4RangeBars, when the price bar is complete, the ends of the two indicator "arms" are in the places (CCIpoints) where one of them will be (as the CCI line) after the bar closes. In the mahCCI14RangeBarsNT8, neither arm is in the same place as it was when the bar was complete but before the bar closed. After the bar closes, the new CCI line is dramatically different from where either "arm" was.

As an example, with CCI4RangeBars and using an 8 range bar, when the bar is complete (is 8 ticks long), the upper arm of the indicator might be at 96 CCI and the lower arm might be at 10 CCI. When the bar closes and a new bar opens, the chart will reflect the CCI at either 96 or 10, depending upon whether the bar closed at the top or bottom.

With the mahCCI14RangeBarsNT8 and using an 8 range bar, when the bar is complete and the upper arm is at 96 CCI and the lower arm is at 10 CCI, when the bar closes and a new bar opens, the chart will show the CCI at a level other than 96 or 10. The CCI could be higher or lower but markedly different than where either arm was prior to the opening of the new bar. With this condition, for me mahCCI14RangeBarsNT8 does not serve its purpose.

I hope you can help me out. TIA

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by steveg View Post
                              Aligator,
                              As to the mahCCI14RangeBarsNT8 indicator, I found that it just didn't work accurately.
                              I hope you can help me out. TIA

Steve
                              I have revised, cleaned up and corrected a conversion method. The indicator was posted here:

Cheers!
                              Last edited by aligator; 01-22-2019, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by TraderBCL, Today, 04:38 AM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post TraderBCL  
                              Started by martin70, 03-24-2023, 04:58 AM
                              14 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post martin70