Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

streamreader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

streamreader

hi, can someone provide a sample file that may work with this? I've tried to use streamreader before using this example and could never figure out how to make it work properly b/c i have no idea what file format the text has to be in.. aka date type, separators etc

Originally posted by staycool3_a View Post
    https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...xt-file?t=3476

hi, can someone provide a sample file that may work with this? I've tried to use streamreader before using this example and could never figure out how to make it work properly b/c i have no idea what file format the text has to be in.. aka date type, separators etc
    20180913 76.01 76.01 76.01 76.01
    20180912 78.54 78.54 78.54 78.54
    20180911 79.94 79.94 79.94 79.94
    20180910 80.97 80.97 80.97 80.97

should be the format b/c in the indicator it uses:

ToDay(Time[0]) == date)

but I keep getting this error:

System.FormatException: String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.
    at System.DateTimeParse.Parse(String s, DateTimeFormatInfo dtfi, DateTimeStyles styles)
    at NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.Indicators.SampleStreamRea der.OnBarUpdate()
    System.FormatException: String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.
    at System.DateTimeParse.Parse(String s, DateTimeFormatInfo dtfi, DateTimeStyles styles)
    at NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.Indicators.SampleStreamRea der.OnBarUpdate()

Comment

Hello staycool3_a,

Thanks for your post.

The code for the SampleStreamReader was changed some time ago to correct this issue and you may be using the older version. Please remove the file SampleStreamReader from your Ninjatrader and download the latest from here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...o_read_fro.htm

Here is an example of the text generated by SampleStreamWriter that would be able to be read in by SampleStreamReader:

10/1/2018 3:00:00 PM,73.29,75.77,72.95,75.3
      10/2/2018 3:00:00 PM,75.42,75.91,74.93,75.23
      10/3/2018 3:00:00 PM,75.12,76.9,74.3,76.41
      10/4/2018 3:00:00 PM,76.18,76.47,73.88,74.33
      10/5/2018 3:00:00 PM,74.67,75.22,73.83,74.34
      10/8/2018 3:00:00 PM,74.4,74.58,73.07,74.29
      10/9/2018 3:00:00 PM,74.21,75.28,74,74.96
      10/10/2018 3:00:00 PM,74.66,75.08,72.38,73.17

Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thanks Paul. I got it to work. I'm curious, do you think there is a way to edit the file while it's being used or is that some just not possible. used= it's being used by an indicator. i wish i could update the data while it's being used

Comment

strategy analyzer run using streamrreader = 46 seconds
          regular strategy analyzer test using data loaded as a instrument = 3 seconds

lol

Comment

Hello staycool3_a,

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding:

Originally posted by staycool3_a View Post
            thanks Paul. I got it to work. I'm curious, do you think there is a way to edit the file while it's being used or is that some just not possible. used= it's being used by an indicator. i wish i could update the data while it's being used
            I suspect you would generate an exception error. While we have provided courtesy example uses of StreamReader and StreamWriter, these are not Ninjascript methods and further information would be outside our area of support. You can find more about the streamreader here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...ramework-4.7.2

Doing a quick search on the internet I found: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...t-streamreader

Regarding, "strategy analyzer run using streamrreader = 46 seconds regular strategy analyzer test using data loaded as a instrument = 3 seconds" This would not be surprising given the coding involved. On each OnbarUpdate() the file is opened, the contents are searched line by line and each line is broken up to find a matching date, if found further processing occurs. The example is only intended to demonstrate a capability.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Paul View Post
              Hello staycool3_a,

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding:

I suspect you would generate an exception error. While we have provided courtesy example uses of StreamReader and StreamWriter, these are not Ninjascript methods and further information would be outside our area of support. You can find more about the streamreader here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...ramework-4.7.2

Doing a quick search on the internet I found: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...t-streamreader

Regarding, "strategy analyzer run using streamrreader = 46 seconds regular strategy analyzer test using data loaded as a instrument = 3 seconds" This would not be surprising given the coding involved. On each OnbarUpdate() the file is opened, the contents are searched line by line and each line is broken up to find a matching date, if found further processing occurs. The example is only intended to demonstrate a capability.
              is it possible to save the data in NT cache so that it doesnt have to be reloaded each time?

Comment

Hello staycool3_a,

If the data is what we have been discussing in this thread (OHLC bar data) then the only solution I could suggest would be to create a fake instrument and load your data into it. This would work with a stock instrument, it would work with a futures instrument (but you would have to create all the expiry months), it would not work with forex.

References:

Comment

I am writng a list to a cvs file

you need
                  Using System.IO;

public void writePullback()
                  {
                  string sDocumentFile = Path.Combine(Environment.ExpandEnvironmentVariable s("%userprofile%"), "Documents\\StrategyTradeFiles");

if (!Directory.Exists(sDocumentFile))
                  Directory.CreateDirectory(sDocumentFile);
                  string sTempString = "";

if (this.pivotList.Count > 0)
                  {
                  StreamWriter File = new StreamWriter(Path.Combine(Environment.ExpandEnviro nmentVariables("%userprofile%"), "Documents\\StrategyTradeFiles" + " " + Instrument.FullName + "Analysis.csv"));

for (int nTempCount = 0; nTempCount < this.pivotList.Count; nTempCount++)
                  {

sTempString = this.pivotList[nTempCount].PivotType.ToString() + "," +
                  this.pivotList[nTempCount].Time + "," +
                  this.pivotList[nTempCount].Ticks;

File.WriteLine(sTempString);

}
                  File.Close();
                  }
                  }

this function is for reading a list

public void ReadList(List<TradeInformation> TradeList)
                  {
                  string[] read;
                  char[] seperators = { ',' };

string sDocumentFile = Path.Combine(Environment.ExpandEnvironmentVariable s("%userprofile%"), "Documents\\MASTERTradeFile");

if (!Directory.Exists(sDocumentFile))
                  Directory.CreateDirectory(sDocumentFile);
                  string sPathName = Path.Combine(Environment.ExpandEnvironmentVariable s("%userprofile%"), "Documents\\MASTERTradeFile\\TradeList.csv");
                  if (File.Exists(sPathName))
                  {

StreamReader sr = new StreamReader(Path.Combine(Environment.ExpandEnviro nmentVariables("%userprofile%"), "Documents\\MASTERTradeFile1\\TradeList.csv")) ;

string data = sr.ReadLine();

read = data.Split(seperators, StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries);

DateTime tStartTime = DateTime.Parse(read[0]);
                  DateTime tEndTime = DateTime.Parse(read[1]);
                  double dStartPrice = double.Parse(read[2]);
                  double dEndPrice = double.Parse(read[3]);

this.TradeList.Add(new TradeInformation(tStartTime, tEndTime, dStartPrice, dEndPrice));

while ((data = sr.ReadLine()) != null)
                  {
                  read = data.Split(seperators, StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries);
                  tStartTime = DateTime.Parse(read[0]);
                  tEndTime = DateTime.Parse(read[1]);
                  dStartPrice = double.Parse(read[2]);
                  dEndPrice = double.Parse(read[3]);

this.TradeList.Add(new TradeInformation(tStartTime, tEndTime, dStartPrice, dEndPrice));

}

sr.Close();

}

}

Last edited by ballboy11; 10-15-2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
                  0 responses
                  1 view
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Jon17
                  by Jon17

Started by Javierw.ok, Today, 04:12 PM
                  0 responses