• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Calculating a 20 period EMA of the average true range

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calculating a 20 period EMA of the average true range

So I want to add a 20 period EMA of the ATR to my current chart setup (aka computing the value of N as given in the attached image.

ive already set the input series settings to "20". in this scenario, what is the period setting doing for the EMA here <as the period set in the timeseries? (also set to 20 in the attached.) is this correct?

Calculation for 20 period EMA of ATR (N) EMA Settings input series settings

Hello Conall,

Thank you for the post.

In the images you provided, one period is the period of the ATR and one is the period of the EMA. It looks like you have set both to 20,

You can find information about the ATR's period here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...age+true+range

In the other image you provided, it says to use a 20-day ema. 20 would be the correct period if you are using daily bars based on the formula details you provided.

When configuring the indicators as shown are you seeing a discrepancy?

I look forward to being of further assistance.

JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Jesse, just second guessing myself, wanted to make sure This is correct before I sink a chunk of time into further studies. Thanks.

Comment

Hello Conall,

Thanks for confirming.

Yes, in this case, I would suggest to just double check that the result you see is what you are expecting. It looks like you copied a formula image from "somewhere" so potentially they also have an example of the intended result. From the details I can see in the image, it seems they are using daily bars so really all I can suggest here would be to use Daily bars based on the given information.

The value for the EMA you noted seems correct based on the image, however, the ATR I am unsure on the period you need there. In the image, they seem to be calculating the ATR on a daily basis where NinjaTraders ATR uses a Period so this may be a difference to review. In the situation that this needs a single day ATR, you may try to instead use a 1 period for the ATR.

Please let me know if i may be of further assistance.
        JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by DavidHP, Today, 04:11 PM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes
        Last Post DavidHP
        by DavidHP

Started by alexstox, 03-24-2019, 01:07 PM