Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Performance considerations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance considerations

Hi,

I'm after some general advice. I am trying to optimise the platform as much as possible to save ninja cpu cycles. I have an indicator that updates 'on price change', because I want a pre-emptive alert mid bar, but this uses too much cpu as the series is considered each time. On bar close is too late. In very active markets, price can change a lot flicking between bid and ask and I don't actually need it that often.

In this circumstance, would adding a variable with the last time updated and limiting the update via the indicator to, say, 500ms be a good and acceptable practise?

If there are any preferred methods, or suggestions? Please let me know.

Hello pjsmith,

Thanks for opening the thread.

What you have mentioned sounds like it can be a reasonable solution. OnPriceChange is the middle ground between OnEachTick and OnBarClose. If you are trying to optimize your indicators to do less calculations in a highly volatile market with your suggested approach, the following items come to mind:
    • Using OnPriceChange to only iterate OnBarUpdate() on price changes
    • Checking the changes in price so if there is a large enough change in price, your indicator will still calculate
    • Making sure you are still calculating the indicator for IsFirstTickOfBar to assure OnBarUpdate() iterations for bar closes so plots update as expected

For the thread's reference, I have included a link to the IsFirstTickOfBar documentation - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ttickofbar.htm

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
    47 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post aligator  
    Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes