Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

End of a Line Break bar can be clearly signaled ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of a Line Break bar can be clearly signaled ?

Hi,

Is there any way to determine conclusively when a Line Break candle has ended? I mean, without considering that a new bar will be plot in the sequence?

Reason for the question: when a Line Break bar candle is being plot, and specially when a very short price change triggered the Line Break interval configured, it is seemingly impossible to know, in a blink of an eye, if the bar has actually ended (i.e: has completed number of line breaks within the minimum base period) or if the bar is still active ( but not progressing) and the market has gone backwards to the opposite direction and it may take a long while to come back to that point ( it happens sometimes even with a tiny price change). If it is clearly signaled that the bar has ended it becomes easier to know if the market has "stopped" moving in that trend direction. I am aware there is a tiny price marker moving up and down the candle when the price reverts to the opposite direction, but again, when the candle is too short at the Y axis ( price delta), the change in direction of that price marker is not noticeable to help form an opinion. Or the market may be stopped and the price marker is so tiny that it is not noticeable.

For me, that knowledge of what is going on, and clearly see the bar status as it develops, is required for a strategy under analysis.

Thanks much indeed,
    G

Hello bouncetherubble, thanks for your note.

A new bar would always be plotted if a line break bar closes, that is just how they are built. One could predict within their script if a line break is about to close with some specific code implementation. One way of separating OnEachTick logic from OnBarClose logic would be to run the script on each tick and use IsFirstTickOfBar to process end of bar logic. This way you can process data while the bar is forming as well as know when the bar closes. There is an example of this here:

Best regards.
    Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Chris L,

It appears the indicators loaded are the ones at the image, all started with "Lin".

Click image for larger version

Name:	LIN.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	1071374

I loaded them all and I can see the Slope in the bottom of the screen as a separate panel, the Reg and Intercept are two lines with the same color , but I cannot see the Predictor plotted ( WoodiesRLPredictor) . I changed the Predictor plot from Line to Triangles to look for a change but no changes ...

Would you be able to send me a screen of how it looks like? When I get this fixed, I will still need to understand how those indicators can contribute to find the end of a Line Break bar, but this looks like a progress, since the header of the URL you sent is my exact concern

Thanks much,
      G

Attached Files

Comment

Hello, thanks for your reply.

I'm not seeing a WoodiesRLPredictor by default, it seems to be a third-party tool. Are there any errors in the log tab of your Control Center after you attempt to load the indicator?

Comment

Hi,

If you go LinRegPredictor properties and scroll to " Plots" , there is a field labeled WoodiesLRPredictor" ...

No , there are no errors at the log tab of the Control Center except for the message below, but strangely this parameter is native to the indicator, so it apparently loads with a parameter out of range by default. I changed to 2 and error message was gone , but not sure what number scale should be placed there ...

Name:	LIN2.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	1071381

Thanks much
          G

Comment

Hello, thanks for your reply.

The LinRegPredictor is not a default NinjaTrader indicator. It seems they restricted this Period parameter to a minimum of 2. If the indicator is free to download please share the link and I will test it myself.

Best regards.

Comment

Hi Chris,

That was available at the URL you posted above,if you scroll down the page.

Name:	Screenshot_20190919-164025.png
Views:	401
Size:	452.7 KB
ID:	1071400

Thanks
              G

​​​​​​​

Comment

Hi, I see the LinReg indicator but there is not LinRegPredictor. That indicator is not used in the example.

Comment

Hi,

Understood, apologies. Then, I cannot remember the occasion I installed the Predictor and why ,but it probably never worked.

Once more, apologies for the confusion.

Best,
                  G

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                  47 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post aligator  
                  Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM