Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strange behavior after compiling indicator or strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange behavior after compiling indicator or strategy

After upgrading to version 8.0.19.0 64-bit I started noticing a strange behavior after compiling an indicator or strategy.

After I am done with any changes to the code, while I have the focus on NinjaScript Editor window, I press F5 to compile. The code gets compile but most of the time (I say 9 times out of 10), after completing the compile, it automatically begins a second compile. At the end of the second compile, it find all of the #region statements and closes/shrinks them.

More details:
    This behavior happens even when I click the compile button at the top of the Editor windows.
    It does not happen 100%, but very frequently.
    The #region does not close/shrink after the first compile.
    I started noticing this behavior after the last application update, BUT I am not 100% if this was happening before less frequently than now.

Please let me know how I can stop this behavior.

Hello GARZONJ,

Thank you for your post.

Could you please send the log and trace from your platform to look further into this inquiry.

To send me your log and trace files from within NinjaTrader. Go to Control Center-->Help-->Email Support in NinjaTrader. Put '2315990 Att Shawn', in the subject field and enable 'Log and trace files'. Also, give a reference of this thread in the body of the email.

We look forward to assisting you further.
    Shawn B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have done what you requested. I will wait for your response.

Comment

Any updates on this issue?

Comment

Hello GARZONJ,

Thanks for your message.

Throughout testing, I have not seen instances where a second compile occurs after an initial compile. Compiling will be initiated if the F5 key is pressed or the Compile button is pressed in the NinjaScript Editor. Compiling will also happen if a file in the bin/Custom folder is updated and the NinjaScript Editor window is open.

When you wrote in, Shawn had advised that since you are using NinjaTrader through a Virtual Machine on a Mac, that the Virtual Machine should be set so it is not using the Mac folder for the Windows Documents folder. It is possible that NinjaTrader is seeing an update to the bin/Custom folder within this Mac folder, and then recompiling.

While we do not support Mac, we offer the following advice for setting up NinjaTrader on a Virtual Machine. Please create a backup of the platform before taking these steps as taking these steps will have the Virtual Machine use a different location for the NinjaTrader Documents folder.

Backup/Restore - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...p__restore.htm

While we do not officially support running NinjaTrader on a Mac; we have had many clients run NinjaTrader on Mac hardware.

We have specific installation instructions for Parallels and VMWare Fusion which will allow you to run NinjaTrader on your Mac. Below you will find instructions specific to the available options of running NinjaTrader on a Mac computer with the virtualization tools. Please note that Windows is sold separately from BootCamp, Parallels, and VMWare.

Mac Installation - Configuring NinjaTrader for Parallels

When installing NinjaTrader on a Mac using Parallels users will need to ensure that the following steps have been taken prior to the installation of NinjaTrader.
          1. Start Parallels and select your virtual machine
          2. Press the "Configure" button on the top
          3. Under "Options", select "Sharing"
          4. Uncheck "Share Mac" under "Share Mac User Folders with Windows"
          5. Press "OK" and start the virtual machine

Mac Installation - Configuring NinjaTrader for VMWare Fusion:

When configuring NinjaTrader on a Mac running VMWare, users will need to ensure that the following steps have been taken prior to the installation of NinjaTrader.
          1. Start VMWare and select your virtual machine
          2. Press the "Settings" button on the bottom
          3. Under "System Settings", select "Sharing"
          4. Uncheck "Documents" from the "Mirrored Folders" list
          5. Close the "Settings" window and start the virtual machine

Mac Installation - Configuring NinjaTrader for Apple Boot Camp:

When configuring NinjaTrader on a Mac running Apple Boot Camp, there are no special instructions needed.
          After taking these steps, please download an installer and select Repair to restore the necessary files to the Virtual Machine's Documents folder. You can then import your backup after taking these steps to restore your scripts, workspaces, templates, etc.

Download - https://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect

The platform will now be set up appropriately for the Virtual Machine, and the possibility of files being written to the bin/Custom folder to cause a recompile will be ruled out.

As for regions collapsing unexpectedly after a recompile, this is a known limitation involving the ActiPro software used to for code editing in the NinjaScript Editor. The next versions of this software involve larger changes which we will be holding off on until a major update to NinjaTrader 8 is considered. I.E. NinjaTrader 8.5 or a NinjaTrader 9 release.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
          JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Your recommendation fixed the issue.

When using virtual machines (in my case Parallels), by unchecking the "Share Mac User Folders in Windows" option, the issue went away.

Thanks, you guys are good!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
            3 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
            Started by jeronymite, 04-12-2024, 04:26 PM
            3 responses
            0 likes