Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Feature Request for Open Interest Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request for Open Interest Indicator

Hi,
    I would like to suggest a built in feature for NT8. I noticed that Market Analyzer has already an Open Interest column and it would be great if NT8 would have a built in indicator that could chart this data too.
    I see that there was an indicator created in the forum but it only plots the front months OI. For analyzing longer term interest it is best if all contracts combined OI could also be plotted.

Thanks!
    B.

Hello Balage0922, thanks for your note.

I will submit a feature request for this suggestion. I'll reply here with a feature tracking ID in the next few business days.

Thank you for your suggestion.
    Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi,
      Is there any news regarding this feature?
      Thanks

Comment

Hello Balage0922,

Thank you for your note.

This feature request is being tracked under the number SFT-2387.

As with all feature requests, interest is tracked before implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. If implemented, it will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
        Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello,
          Please add my vote for Open Interest Indicator.

Comment

Hello s.kinra,

Thank you for your reply.

Open Interest has since been added to the platform as a plot of the Commitment Of Traders (COT) indicator that is built into the latest versions of the platform:

Comment

Hello Kate,
              COT never works for me, I don't get any plot, no errors in log. "COT data is not supported for this instrument" is the only fixed text I can see on the chart. I couldn't figure out the data source from the code, can you confirm this is available for all global instruments.
              Last edited by s.kinra; 03-15-2021, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Hello s.kinra,

No, this data would only be available for futures instruments for which this data was reported in the weekly Committment of Traders report. Please see this page of our help guide: https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/cot.htm

If the data is available from your data provider through market data for open interest for other instrument types, you may be able to view this as a Market Analyzer column. Within a Market Analyzer window, right click on the window and select Columns > Open Interest. Double click this to add it to the configured columns.

Comment

Hello Kate,
                  Yes, I can see the Open Interest in Market Analyzer (one figure only) but I would like to add it to my chart in Indicator Panel & add mov avg to it. I am aware of what you shared & so I wanted to add my vote if SF already created.

Comment

Hi Kate,
                    open interest is reported daily, I think that is how the market analyzer also retrieved the data. COT only comes out once a week however, so It would help a lot to have OI charted daily. If I'm right Kinetick also has this data, but NT does not plot it out of the box.

Comment

Hello Balage0922,

If you're wanting this for futures contracts, you might check out this indicator one of my colleagues created from our User App Share:

The problem with getting this daily is that MarketData is a real time only stream so it's not really feasible to plot as an indicator. Even if you turned on tick replay, it wouldn't be possible to plot Open Interest data that is sent by Kinetick or IQ Feed (which are, I believe, the only 2 data suppliers that provide this information) as that information is not stored in Tick Replay data. I've created an example that will plot Open Interest from Kinetick or IQ Feed connections that will plot this in real time only.

The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The add-ons listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the info Kate! Will check out the indicator. I saw that OI can be plotted on Barchart website, I guess they have a feed for it too. Just so that I understand better: OI is only a live stream and it is not accessible like historical price data? Is this something that could be recommended for improvement to Kinetick or the source data vendor? Does Kinetick have a forum for this?

Comment

Hello Balage0922,

Fundamental data such as OI is sent as a live stream and is not recorded like historical price data. We currently have an existing feature request to support historical fundamental data to which I have added a vote on your behalf. This request is being tracked under the number SFT-3469.

As with all feature requests, interest is tracked before implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. If implemented, it will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Comment

Per below, is there an intraday Open Interest indicator or only weekly?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kate View Post
                            Hello s.kinra,

Open Interest has since been added to the platform as a plot of the Commitment Of Traders (COT) indicator that is built into the latest versions of the platform:

Comment

Hello connorgrant5,

COT data is available in weekly intervals only.
                              JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by rdtdale, Today, 01:02 PM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rdtdale
                              by rdtdale

Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM