Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How can I exit an Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I exit an Indicator

Is there anyway to exit the processing of an indicator altogether in order to draw text on the pane? For example, if I make a license call to my server and the user is not licensed, I am trying something like this:

Code:
    protected override void OnBarUpdate()
    {          
        if (!FancyLicensingBool)
        {                    
            Draw.TextFixed(this, "license-errors", "Not Licensed", TextPosition.Center, Brushes.Black,new SimpleFont("Arial", 16), Brushes.Black, Brushes.White, 100);             
            return;
        }
    }
    I have that in OnBarUpdate but it only returns one time and then OnBarUpdate is called again. Is there a way to call some sort of halt action instead of returning? Something that would leave the text in the pane?

There is option to use {SetState(State.Finalized);} instead of return;

There is also State.Terminated but I've found this does not exit indicator, it just starts it again in the same way using "return;" does. I don't think State.Finalzed is supported by NT support so I guess you use it at your own risk. Hopefully someone from NT will be able to explain there usage better.

Comment

Hello swooke,

Thanks for your post.

If you want to have the indicator draw on the chart, I would suggest setting a bool and then drawing on the chart like you have done. Aborting the indicator will cause the drawing objects to disappear.

This would not be a supported approach so your mileage may vary, but you could try removing your indicator from the ChartControl.Indicators collection. I would not recommend trying this with indicators that use IsOverlay = false since removing from the Indicators collection will not remove the added panel.

ChartControl.Indicators.Remove(this);

You could combine this with throwing an exception so an error is noted in the Log tab of the Control Center.

throw new Exception("Script terminated.");

I'll leave the thread open for other community members that may have input using unsupported code.
      JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yeah, whatever happened to the NT7 method of using "Enabled = false;"? (for ex, see NT7's @Pivots.cs indicator)

I mean, it would seem that the NT8 equivalent of "Enabled = false;" is what the OP is looking for.

I also note that NT7 Strategy supported a Disable() method (which I assumed was a wrapper for that 'Enable' variable),
        does NT8 have an equivalent for that?

I mean, one would think there should be a common universal "Disable()" like method in NT8 that would work
        similarly across all plugin types -- aka, Indicators, Strategies, and Addons ... does that exist? If not, why not?

What is the correct/documented/supported way to disable your NT8 NinjaScript object?

Comment

Hello bltdavid,

The Enabled property is not documented for NinjaTrader 7 and we have moved away from doing this in NinjaTrader 8. NinjaTrader 8 Pivots will draw text on the chart and log an error so the user is informed of what happened with the script.

Disable() in NinjaTrader 7 is for strategies only and is replaced with CloseStrategy() in NinjaTrader 8.

CloseStrategy() - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...sestrategy.htm

SetState(State.Terminated) would be our suggested way to terminate a script. Similar to what we see when setting Enabled to false in NinjaTrader 7, this will not remove the indicator from the chart.

SetState - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help.../?setstate.htm

We look forward to assisting.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jim View Post
            Hello bltdavid,

The Enabled property is not documented for NinjaTrader 7 and we have moved away from doing this in NinjaTrader 8. NinjaTrader 8 Pivots will draw text on the chart and log an error so the user is informed of what happened with the script.

Disable() in NinjaTrader 7 is for strategies only and is replaced with CloseStrategy() in NinjaTrader 8.

CloseStrategy() - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...sestrategy.htm

SetState(State.Terminated) would be our suggested way to terminate a script. Similar to what we see when setting Enabled to false in NinjaTrader 7, this will not remove the indicator from the chart.

SetState - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help.../?setstate.htm

We look forward to assisting.
            Hello Jim,

When I use state terminated in an indicator script, the script will terminate once, then restart on the next bar so I cannot get it to actually terminate the script, it only terminates then start again. Am I missing something in how to use state terminated to ensure that it ends the script and it doesn;t start again or is this normal behaviour and only finalize actually stops the script from restarting?

Comment

Hello b16_aln,

When you test with SetState(State.Terminated); are you calling this during historical processing or when the script is processing realtime data? When I test when State.Realtime is reached, the script no longer processes OnBarUpdate.

Historical data is processed in a thread pool, so the same approach would not work here to set the state to State.Terminated when the script processes historical data. I would recommend using a return statement instead.

If you have additional questions here, could you modify the test script I attached so we can look at a similar example?

I look forward to assisting.
              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by merzo, 06-25-2023, 02:19 AM
              10 responses
              1 like
              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ  
              Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM