Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to find Lowest Bar value within a range of bars ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to find Lowest Bar value within a range of bars ?

I need to find the lowest bar within a range for ex: from index 2 to index 8 and current bar index is 0.

I couldn't use LowestBar() method since it by default takes into account starting index as 0. Please suggest which method can be used in this situation ?

Last edited by sachin shetty; 07-11-2020, 08:51 PM.

Hello sachin shetty,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader forums!

If you are looking for the lowest price I would suggest using the MIN() method where you can specify the Low data series, the number of bars to process and the start bar (Bars ago index). Using your example would be: myLowPrice = MIN(Low, 6)[2].

If you need the lowest bars ago then I would suggest a for loop to interate over the range of bars and compare the low price. Something like:

Code:

double lowprice = double.MaxValue;  // set initally to highest double type value
                    double lowbarsAgo = 0;

for (int i = 2; i < 9; i++)
                    {
                        if (Low[i] < lowprice)  // is low is less than previous low price
                        {
                            lowprice = Low[i];  // save new lower price
                            lowbarsAgo = i;     // save the bars ago value
                        }
                    }
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Paul,

How would I modify your recommendation to plot a brush color on each bar meeting this criteria?

It should color each bar which low is the lowest price over the past 4 bars.

For example:

If

Low[0] = 0.70 // CurrentBar = 555
      Low[1] = 0.99 // CurrentBar = 554
      Low[2] = 0.92 // CurrentBar = 553
      Low[3] = 0.85 // CurrentBar = 552
      Low[4] = 0.96 // CurrentBar = 551

then color CurrentBar's low in gold.

​​​​​​​If

Low[0] = 0.69 // CurrentBar = 455
      ​​​​​​​Low[1] = 0.94 // CurrentBar = 454
      ​​​​​​​Low[2] = 0.92 // CurrentBar = 453
      ​​​​​​​Low[3] = 0.83 // CurrentBar = 452
      ​​​​​​​Low[4] = 0.96 // CurrentBar = 451

then color CurrentBar's low in gold.​

​​​​​​​...

If

Low[0] = 1.0 // CurrentBar = 355
      ​​​​​​​Low[1] = 0.66 // CurrentBar = 354
      ​​​​​​​Low[2] = 0.97 // CurrentBar = 353
      ​​​​​​​Low[3] = 0.85 // CurrentBar = 352
      ​​​​​​​Low[4] = 0.96 // CurrentBar = 351
      ​​​​​​​
      then do not color CurrentBar's low.​

I tested this but it seems not to be working.

Code:
                      double lowprice = double.MaxValue;  // set initally to highest double type value
                      double lowbarsAgo = 0;

for (int i = 1; i < 19; i++)
                      {
                          if (Low[i] < lowprice)  // is low is less than previous low price
                          {
                              lowprice = Low[i];  // save new lower price
                              lowbarsAgo = i;     // save the bars ago value
                          }
                      }

if( lowprice == Low[0] )
                      {
                          BarBrush = Brushes.Gold;
                      }​
      Last edited by PaulMohn; 01-04-2024, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Hello PaulMohn,

You would need to use a print to see why that is not working in your specific use case. To color a bar you can use BarBrush. One problem with the code you provided is that checking if two prices are equal will fail, that is not valid. you would need to check if the price is lesser equal or greater equal for it to be true, to check if a price is directly equal you would need to use math as described on the following page: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...arithmetic.htm
        JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jesse View Post
          Hello PaulMohn,

You would need to use a print to see why that is not working in your specific use case. To color a bar you can use BarBrush. One problem with the code you provided is that checking if two prices are equal will fail, that is not valid. you would need to check if the price is lesser equal or greater equal for it to be true, to check if a price is directly equal you would need to use math as described on the following page: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...arithmetic.htm
          The problem is I don't find the way to test with prints.

I'll reformulate and simplify my query.

How would I use prints to color any bar/every bars which are preceded by 4 bars with higher lows?
          The criteria is the bar must have four bars or more which lows are all higher than its low.
          Color the '1' bars in screenshot below:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	vmplayer_eG7ZDcKW3I.png
Views:	205
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	1284963
          Last edited by PaulMohn; 01-05-2024, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Hello PaulMohn,

Prints are not use to color the chart, that is a way for you to output data to the output window. You would use prints to output the values you are trying to compare in your condition to check if the condition should or should not be true. Also as mentioned checking equality is not valid you need to see the tip page that I linked in the previous post whch explains both why that is not valid and how to check equality on double numbers.

Comment

How would I use prints to check how to color any bar/every bars which are preceded by 4 bars with higher lows?
              What prints statement?
              The criteria is the bar must have four bars or more which lows are all higher than its low.
              Color the '1' bars in screenshot below:​
              Click image for larger version

Name:	imagy-image (11).jpg
Views:	204
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	1285076

Comment

Hello PaulMohn,

How you color bars would be based on the conditions you make in your code. To know if a bar should or should not be colored you would need to check if your condition is true or not. To know if the condition as true or not you would need to Print the values that condition is using.

You can read about using prints in the following link: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help.../nt8/print.htm

Comment

The code used was @NinjaTrader_PaulH​ 's, not mine. Can @NinjaTrader_PaulH​ respond?

Comment

Hello PaulMohn,

No that would not be possible but you can use prints to identify how that code is working. Prints are an important part of your development process, that will let you explore code that may not be your own. If you want to find out how something is working or why it is not working using prints is the first step in that process.

Keep in mind the code you posted is not exactly what was originally posted so when you make modifications prints are going to be a very important tool for you to use. Please also refer to the help guide link that I had posted as that is relevant to the condition you made, checking if two numbers are equal will not work and the link I provided explains why and how to check that.

Comment

Why wouldn't @NinjaTrader_PaulH​ be able to respond?

Again, what prints statement?

The reference you provided isn't helpful, as is your comment, for finding what prints/values to check the logic for. At best it states equality of doubles isn't derived from straight equality, which is useless to find out what print statement would be of use to meet the requested criteria.

Comment

Hello PaulMohn,

You would need to make a custom print statement that outputs the values you are using in your condition. If you are unsure how to use print statements I would suggest to refer to the help guide for some samples of how to use prints.

A print statement would be useful for your use case to print out and see if both values were the same value. If they are and the condition is not true then the help guide link is exactly the solution, you would need to use math instead of == which will not work for that type of use case.

You can also contact a professional NinjaScript Consultant who would be eager to assist you with your script. The NinjaTrader Ecosystem has affiliate contacts who provide educational as well as consulting services. Please let me know if you would like our NinjaTrader Ecosystem team to follow up with you with a list of affiliate consultants who would be happy to create this script or any others at your request or provide one-on-one educational/debugging services.

Comment

NinjaTrader_Brett isn't NinjaTrader_Jesse comment misleading and unhelpful for the case at hand?
                          Why would a technician not provide examples of prints they argue would help in a case other than to purposely mislead?

Comment

Example of non purposely misleading reply and good customer service effort from reputable technician would have been:

Code:
                                            bool b = true;

for (int i = 1; i < 5; i++)
                                            {

// In two lines for being clear, but it's possible just in one
                                                b = b && Low[i] > Low[0];

// You could speed it up this way.
                                                if(!b) break;
                                            }

if (b) {
                                                //something to happen here ONCE!
                                                BarBrush = Brushes.Magenta;
                                            }​
                            Source:
                            after days of hard thinking i choose to ask that question. I have if statement with multiple conditions: //var current is array of arrays of integers if((current[rot][0] + x)&lt;blocks.length ...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by Shansen, 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM
                            24 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post spwizard  
                            Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Max238