Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

User Defined Color for Text

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

User Defined Color for Text

Hi, I have an indicator that places text on the price chart. Currently, it is set to use ChartControl.Properties.ChartText for setting the color of the text. This is great unless the user wants to use a different color. I have already figured out how to place the text where I want but, I can't yet find how to allow the user to define the color of the text. Continuing on from that, I would also like to give the user the option to decide on the font and font size. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi memonolog,

Thanks for your reply and for posting the code. Firstly, as I am still new to this forum, can I ask how you posted the code so that it looks like a window within the post and it has scroll bars. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I also haven't figured out how to quote text from a post. Is there an "idiots guide to forum posting" that I can read?

Secondly, I sort of found where to paste your code for the first part but got a bit lost when it came to the part of:
    "in protected override void OnRender(ChartControl chartControl, ChartScale chartScale)"
    I don't see that in the code for my indicator. I am still very new to C# so please forgive my ignorance. I have attached the indicator so, if possible, could you please insert your code into my indicator, and that way, I can then see where it should have gone. I want to learn and the best way is to see how the experts do it.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello Kaiviti57,

Great job taking steps to learn C# and NinjaScript!

As far as a brush input, we have an example in the help guide that is right along with what memonolog suggested.

If you are planning to supply this brush to Draw.Text() (the ninja script method), it will not be necessary to implement OnRender() or OnRenderTargetChanged(), this is used for custom rendering. Focus on memonolog's second post.
      Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiviti57 View Post
        Hi memonolog,

Thanks for your reply and for posting the code. Firstly, as I am still new to this forum, can I ask how you posted the code so that it looks like a window within the post and it has scroll bars. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I also haven't figured out how to quote text from a post. Is there an "idiots guide to forum posting" that I can read?

Secondly, I sort of found where to paste your code for the first part but got a bit lost when it came to the part of:
        "in protected override void OnRender(ChartControl chartControl, ChartScale chartScale)"
        I don't see that in the code for my indicator. I am still very new to C# so please forgive my ignorance. I have attached the indicator so, if possible, could you please insert your code into my indicator, and that way, I can then see where it should have gone. I want to learn and the best way is to see how the experts do it.
        Hi Kaiviti57

I am new on C# and NinjaScript and I am looking the same as you were looking for:
        • allow the user to define the color of the text, the font and font size
        Did you manage to code those?

Thank you

Comment

Hello rafo05,

Thanks for your note.

You could find an example of creating a user-defined Brush input in the link shared by my colleague Chelsea in post #3. I am also adding this link below.

Creating a user-defined font style input would not be supported. This is something that would need to be hard-coded into the script when calling the draw method syntax that allows you to specify a SimpleFont argument.

Draw.Text(NinjaScriptBase owner, string tag, bool isAutoScale, string text, int barsAgo, double y, int yPixelOffset, Brush textBrush, SimpleFont font, TextAlignment alignment, Brush outlineBrush, Brush areaBrush, int areaOpacity)

Something you could consider doing for creating a user-defined font size would be to create a user-defined int variable and then use that variable for the size argument when defining the SimpleFont in your script.

Note that you could create a user-defined input in the Inputs section of the Inputs and Variables screen of the Strategy Builder and click the 'View code' button to see the generated syntax.

See the help guide documentation below for more information and sample code.

Draw.Text: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help.../draw_text.htm
          SimpleFont: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...font_class.htm

Let me know if I may assist further.
          Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_BrandonH View Post
            Hello rafo05,

Thanks for your note.

You could find an example of creating a user-defined Brush input in the link shared by my colleague Chelsea in post #3. I am also adding this link below.

Creating a user-defined font style input would not be supported. This is something that would need to be hard-coded into the script when calling the draw method syntax that allows you to specify a SimpleFont argument.

Draw.Text(NinjaScriptBase owner, string tag, bool isAutoScale, string text, int barsAgo, double y, int yPixelOffset, Brush textBrush, SimpleFont font, TextAlignment alignment, Brush outlineBrush, Brush areaBrush, int areaOpacity)

Something you could consider doing for creating a user-defined font size would be to create a user-defined int variable and then use that variable for the size argument when defining the SimpleFont in your script.

Note that you could create a user-defined input in the Inputs section of the Inputs and Variables screen of the Strategy Builder and click the 'View code' button to see the generated syntax.

See the help guide documentation below for more information and sample code.

Draw.Text: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help.../draw_text.htm
            SimpleFont: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...font_class.htm

Let me know if I may assist further.
            Hi NinjaTrader_BrandonH

Thank you for your comments. Those gave some hits to solve some problems with my code (I am a newbie on C3 and NinjaScript) but not completely.

I just created a new post asking for help with my code

I am a newbie coding C# and/or NinjaScript. Looking for some other codes and reading some documentation I tried to assemble the code attached but I am not able to get what I aimed for: 1. I want these variables to be accessible to end users to define values as it can be done with other indicators when adding them to a chart

Thank you

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Tim-c, Today, 03:54 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Tim-c
            by Tim-c

Started by FrancisMorro, Today, 03:24 AM
            0 responses