Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Changing default temple of drawing tool from scipt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing default temple of drawing tool from scipt.

Hello,

Is there a way to access and change the default template of the drawing tool from a script? Specifically, trying to change the default color brush of all the tools programmatically. Since the drawing tools have multiple brushes depending on how the complexity of said tool, I will have to iterate through all the brush parameters for each tool.

Thanks
    Unsuitable
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Ocean Trading Indicators

Hello Unsuitable,

The template itself is an xml file located in Documents\NinjaTrader 8\templates\DrawingTools.

There are no NinjaScript methods to modify the template file itself. You can use StreamWriter to write text as well as xml files, but would be a risky and time consuming task.

However, with a script you can add a DrawingObject and specify the properties like the color.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
      Hello Unsuitable,

The template itself is an xml file located in Documents\NinjaTrader 8\templates\DrawingTools.

There are no NinjaScript methods to modify the template file itself. You can use StreamWriter to write text as well as xml files, but would be a risky and time consuming task.

However, with a script you can add a DrawingObject and specify the properties like the color.
      https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...8/draw_dot.htm
      HelloChelseaB,

This guy managed to do it somehow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozM96Uuwprw
      Also a member on future.io forums. https://futures.io/local_links.php?a...27&linkid=1738

The futures.io script has a separate toolbar as well. I suspect that the color selector and toolbar talk to each other when assigning colors, as you suggested doing. As for the youtube guy, he has set up as I wanted. Both solutions are behind a paywall. I managed to get the color selector going. All I need now is a way to change the drawing tool colors. The manipulation of XML files is definitely sketchy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-09-28_12-49-47.gif
Views:	386
Size:	1,019.6 KB
ID:	1120194
      Unsuitable

Comment

Hello Unsuitable,

I am not seeing in the video where this is saving a template file.. At what time does this video show the code of the script saving a template file?

The object's brush will have the color. You can change the brush as a parameter to the method call or as a property of the object.
        Draw.Dot(NinjaScriptBase owner, string tag, bool isAutoScale, DateTime time, double y, Brush brush)

myDot.Brush = Brushes.Red.

Comment

Hello ChelseaB,

I took another peek at the youtube video and he uses a custom toolbar that interacts with the color picker. In all honesty, I assumed it changed the default's drawing objects template, my bad.

Going to have to implement a sperate toolbar aswell. :P

For those that wondered what I used for the buttons, https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...collection.htm
          Unsuitable

Comment

I checked out the internet for NT8 examples of toolbars and the only decent one is the mahToolBar. I checked it out but it turns out it sends out a keypress (hotkey) that is assigned to the tools instead of calling the actual command. In my nt7 toolbar indicator, it calls the individual drawing tool command.

Anyways, instead of creating a whole new toolbar, the script grabs the most recent drawn object and changes the brush color from there. It's a little limited in functionality but will get the job done. The problem with that solution is that the chart only updates the color if moved. Is there a way to send a "force update" to the chart?

Click image for larger version

Name:	p35lrIv.gif
Views:	460
Size:	759.0 KB
ID:	1120273

The code:
            Code:
            Object lastDrawingObject = DrawObjects.Last();

if (lastDrawingObject is DrawingTools.Line)
            {
                    NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.DrawingTools.Line line = (NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.DrawingTools.Line) lastDrawingObject;
                    line.Stroke.Brush = btn.Background;
            }
            Thanks
            Unsuitable

Comment

Hello Unsuitable,

There is a ForceRefresh() method.

Comment

ChelseaB the MVP

I noticed that its a tad sluggish. As noted in the NT8 documentation on DrawObjects, iterating over a large number of objects can be a performance hit. Instead of calling .Last(), is it possible to call the last element in DrawnObject by using count? The following code errors out, DrawObjects only accept tags. Looked into it and .Last() is apparently optimized for said task. Perhaps that's the best it can do.

Code:
                Object lastDrawingObject = DrawObjects[DrawObjects.Count()-1];
                Unsuitable

Comment

Hello Unsuitable,

If you are trying to remove all object except the last 5, it would be necessary to remove each object by its tag name. I can't think of any way to do that other than looping through all of the drawing objects except the last 5.

Comment

No, I'm not trying to remove all except the last 5. I'm trying to get the last drawn object from DrawObjects[] without calling DrawObjects.Last(). Last() does work but it's not instant. It will do for now.
                    Unsuitable

Comment

Hello Unsuitable,

Apologies for the confusion, there is another forum thread open also with questions on DrawObjects.

Try:

Code:
                      private List<IDrawingTool> drawObjectsList;
                      Code:
                      if (DrawObjects.Count() > 0)
                      {
                      drawObjectsList = DrawObjects.ToList();
                      Print(drawObjectsList[drawObjectsList.Count() - 1].Tag);
                      }

Comment

I tried the code and although it works, its the same speed as the .Last() solution. So I imagine the slow down is somewhere else or perhaps my computer is a tad slow. It's not that much of a bother. Anyways I got another question about the button handling but I'll post it in the WPF toolbar thread.

Thanks
                        Unsuitable

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by hurleydood, 09-12-2019, 10:45 AM
                        14 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Board game geek  
                        Started by cre8able, Yesterday, 04:16 PM