Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Can Bill Williams Fractals be used in Strategy builder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Bill Williams Fractals be used in Strategy builder.

I have used when price crosses above High Pivot .BUY.

Not getting any result when I run the strategy?

Hello Paul Penton,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader forums!

If you are using the indicator BWFractal from the NT User apps section of the Ninjaatrader Ecosystem then yes it can be used in the Strategy Builder.

The indicator does not provide the "pivot" until the 3rd bar after the actual pivot. This is because the logic of the indicator requires that the point be higher than the previous 2 bars and higher than the next two bars.

You can create a condition that checks to see if the BWFractal upper 3 bars ago is greater than 0 which will only be true when 3 bars ago a point was plotted,

I've attached a screenshot that shows a 1-minute chart with the indicator applied. In the chart, the indicator has marked the upper with the green squares. On the right is the strategy builder condition to check if 3 bars ago the upper plot was greater than 0 and if so to then draw a red diamond 3 bars ago 3 ticks above the bar. As you can see the startegy is confirming where the pivots are which means the condition is correct.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PaulP-1.PNG
Views:	101
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1137871
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks I have tried this with the Fractals {by Bill Wiliams} but am not getting the same result as you? I have set bars ago to three and Misc-> numeric value to 0. the way my strategy comes out it looks different?
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello Paul Penton,

Thanks for your reply.

Looks like you are using a different version of the indicator so I cannot provide direction on that.

What I would suggest is to contact the source of the indicator and ask for their assistance with how to use it in the Strategy Builder.

Otherwise, the approach I would take is to use the Print statement in the action section a strategy builder set and print out the values of the current bar, the previous, bar, the previous to that bar value of the pivot High/Low. These prints then would give you some idea of where the High/low pivot values are. the print is found in the Misc folder in the "do the following section of a set. I would not use any conditions and print both the high and low pivot points.

Comment

Thanks I did a quick search for BWFractals for Ninja trader on the net but nothing came up if there 's any way of finding the source it would be appreciated, thanks?

So just checking the inherent Ninja trader one or the wiseman fractals cannot do this?

Comment

Hello Paul Penton,

Thanks for your reply.

This indicator is publicly available on our NinjaTrader Ecosystem website:Here is a basic guideline of how to Import NinjaScripts.

To import NinjaScripts you will need the original .zip file.

To Import
            1. Download the NinjaScripts to your desktop, keep them in the compressed .zip file.
            2. From the Control Center window select the menu Tools>Import>Ninjascript add-on..
            3. Select the downloaded .zip file
            4. NinjaTrader will then confirm if the import has been successful.

Critical - Specifically for some NinjaScripts, it will prompt that you are running newer versions of @SMA, @EMA, etc. and ask if you want to replace, press 'No'

Once installed, you may add the indicator to a chart by:
            • Right click your chart > indicators > Select the Indicator from the list on the left > New > OK

The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The add-ons listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.

Comment

Got it-great thanks.

Comment

I now have this version installed and programmed in Strategy builder to buy the signal condition is met- it doesn't seem to do anything- is there another step I need to take?

So I need to buy or sell above below the fractal.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello Paul Penton,

Thanks for your reply.

If you are testing on a live data chart, when you apply the strategy you would need to check the "Enable" check box and click OK. If that does not resolve, please clarify how/where you are testing and provide details of the instrument, contract, bar type, bar size, and test date(s).

Your condition is detecting that 3 bars ago the Upper Fractal had a value so you are placing a market order to go long 3 bars after the fractal. I think what you want is to save the value of the fractal into a variable as they are found and then in another set check to see if the price does crossabove (or crossed below) the variable to then place your entry order.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by smcllr, Today, 04:15 PM
                  1 response
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_ShawnB  
                  Started by rtwave, Today, 02:33 PM
                  1 response
                  0 likes