Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Unable to debug Ninjatrader 8 with Visual Studio 2019 Community edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to debug Ninjatrader 8 with Visual Studio 2019 Community edition

Hi,

I am trying to debug my indicator code using Visual Studio 2019 Community edition with NT8 but whenever i do "Attach To Process" it just hang. The important thing i noticed is that with version 8.0.23.x i am able to debug.. this problem is happening with current version only version 8.0.24.3. I thought i may work with older version for now.. but in that NT8 doesn't allow me to run older version it gives error that i am on out of date version.. and closes after i click ok on Ok button.

Please suggest if there is a way either to run older version or debug the current version.. in between i also got one error that "Agile.Net debugger is attached your system. unload that and restart your program." i don't have idea what it is for..

Thanks,
    Amit

Hello Amit,

Welcome to the NinjaTrader forums!

VS 2019 is fine to use. And downgrading NinjaTrader is not a solution.

Have you enabled debug mode?
    Have you compiled after enabling debug mode?
    Have you launched visual studio from the visual studio icon on the NinjaScript Editor toolstrip at the top? (All instances of VS must be closed to launch)

Below is a link to a video with steps.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have the exact same problem. Keeps saying that the debugging process takes longer than expected. Then I can only cancel.
      It worked before, so I really don't know what the problem is. I'm on the latest version of NT.

BR
      Cube

Comment

Hello Cube,

May I have you also answer the questions in post #2?

Are you taking the exact steps shown in the video?

Are you using Visual Studio 2019?

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

sure. I've taken these steps. As I wrote, it was working before. I'm using VS19 community edition with the latest udpates and I'm using the latest version of NT.

BR
          Jan

Comment

Hello Jan,

I would be able to schedule a call with you to go through the process and ensure this is done exactly as shown in the video.

However, if the issue is with Visual Studio that would be out of the realm of what our support team can support.

You may also want to try uninstalling and reinstalling Visual Studio.

Send an email to scriptingsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com with a link to this forum thread if you would like to schedule a call for me to connect with you and go through the steps.

Comment

Hi,

I'm also having this issue. I haven't tried to attach and debug via VS2019 in awhile. Today I tried and got the same error message: debugger operation is taking longer. I'm running the latest version of NT8. Has there been any solutions to this?

Comment

Hello FaaastEddy,

No further solution has been posted in this forum thread.

To confirm you have:
                Re-installed Visual Studio and NinjaTrader?
                Enabled debug mode?
                Compiled after enabling debug mode?
                Launched visual studio from the visual studio icon on the NinjaScript Editor toolstrip at the top? (All instances of VS must be closed to launch)

Comment

Hi ChelseaB,

I was able to pinpoint what was causing Visual Studio to freeze when I tried to attach to the Ninja Trader process. I have a 3rd party suite called Acme 8 Suite from Rancho Dinero installed. I recently updated to latest version and noticed the attach problems after. I uninstalled the Acme 8 Suite and now I'm able to attach and debug with Visual Studio. I have sent an email to Rancho Dinero explaining my findings to see if they have solution.

FYI - I installed Visual Studio 2022 and I'm able to attach and debug just fine so far. Would be nice at some point the Visual Studio icon in the Script Editor would open a preferred Visual Studio instance. I uninstalled VS 2019 and now when I click on that icon, display an error that it can't open Visual Studio - this is not a big deal, since I can just open VS 2022 myself.

Comment

Thank you Eddy, I'm also using Rancho's Indicators and downloading VS22 this moment :-)
                    Hopefully I will be back in business then.

Comment

No, VS22 alone doesn't do the trick. Unfortunately I need the indicators for my developement...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by GLFX005, Today, 03:23 AM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post GLFX005
                      by GLFX005

Started by XXtrader, Yesterday, 11:30 PM
                      2 responses
                      0 likes