Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Plotting Indicator Values on different Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plotting Indicator Values on different Panels

Hi,

I have an indicator that creates several plot lines - ie Values[0] and Values[1].

The actual values have different scales - one is price-related and the other volume-based.

I would like to plot the volume-based in a new panel AND have the option to either:

a) overlay the price-related values on the input data series panel (Panel 1), or
    b) plot the price-related values in a second new panel

Is this possible?

Many thanks

Hello, thanks for writing in. A single indicator can only have one panel or draw in the price panel, it can not plot in both the price panel and its own panel. You would need to make two different indicators where one has IsOverlay = true and the other false. We also have this example that shows how to plot multiple different indicators from a Strategy object, this has the ability to add multiple indicators that each have their own plot or plot on the price scale:

Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for your note. I'm familiar with the overlay plot options in the example codes but, as you point out, it's not what I'm looking for.

My indicator is tick-based and involves intensive processing - in essence, I want to avoid the overhead of processing the same tick data just to create several different values/plots.

Is there another way of approaching this ? - such as, for example, processing the tick data series once and making this data accessible by more than one indicator?

Many thanks.

Comment

Hi, unfortunately, there is no other way to approach this since indicators can only add one plot and indicators do not share memory (ram) with each other. You can write data to a .txt file but that would be slow as well.

Comment

Hi,

Is there not the possibility to do this (processing the tick data series once and making it available to other indicators) via a custom bar series ? or some other custom approach/add-on functionality in Ninjatrader 8?

EDIT:

just a thought - given that Ninjatrader 8 is now multi-threaded, does each Indicator run on a separate thread? If so, then maybe I don't need to worry about repeating the intensive processing...

Many thanks
          Last edited by pmbi00; 01-25-2023, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Hello, thanks for the follow up. There should not be a significant performance impact from needing to run two 1 tick series. I have never seen an example or any user create such an add-on that is able to share data across scripts and there is nothing documented on how you would do it.

Comment

Hi,

My question/concern is not just with the performance impact of running multiple 1-tick data series indicators - it's about the need to repeat intensive processing of each 1-tick series (akin to the price ladder calculations in volumetric bars) given that, as you've stated, it's not possible to plot multiple output values across multiple panels within a single chart window.

If you then wish to do this across multiple time - and instruments, the problem will of course be compounded.

But now we're into a performance, potential customisation/add-on question so I'll open another post.

Many thanks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Barry Milan, Today, 10:35 PM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
              Started by WeyldFalcon, 12-10-2020, 06:48 PM
              14 responses
              0 likes