Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences between charting platforms

Hello,

Firstly, my apologies. I had hoped to ask the NT community this question, rather than the actual NT support forum, but I couldn't find anywhere else to ask it. It is not a bug, as such, with NT but more a clarification.

I will ask it here anyway in the hope it may be answered.

I have recently started to use NT8 instead of TOS and Tradingview. What I am wondering is why there are differences in charting data between TV and NT.

For example, I like to use the Heikn Ashi chart. The trouble is, for the same time period and the same axis scale, the HA charts differ between NT and TradingView. I need to know why otherwise I will be seeing one as better than the other (when that may not necessarily be the case).

Attached are two screenshots - one for the ES on TradingView for a 1 min H-A chart. The other is from NT8 for the same instrument on the same timeframe.

Although the general 'flow' of the chart is similar, the candles are not e.g. at 06:16 - 06:18.

Given that H-A uses a fixed formula to determine the output, why are these charts different?
    Attached Files

Hello 5lim3r,

The NinjaTrader 8 screenshot shows a 1 Minute interval and not a Heiken Ashi interval. Can you please right click in the chart and select 'Data Series'. Set 'Type' to Heiken Ashi.

To what data feed/broker do you connect in NinjaTrader? Does Tradingview connect to the same data feed/broker?

Please note that you can have subtle differences in data between different data sources. See the link below under 'Understanding the variables involved in building chart bars'.

Discrepancies Between Different Data Feeds
    Different data feeds produce different charts, especially when using tick based intervals vs time based intervals. Market data vendors each employ various methods for tick filtering, throttling and time stamping. As a result, no data stream is 100% identical and thus can cause subtle differences in charts. Since NinjaTrader supports many of the leading brokerage and data feed technologies, it is highly likely that two traders using NinjaTrader on different data feeds will have minor differences when plotting the same market and time interval.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hey Jason,

That sounds exactly like what's happening - the different data feed. It makes a lot of sense. I'm just sorry I didn't think of it before posting. I have changed the interval as you suggested. It is better but still not the same as TradingView.

As it happens I am using the NT Continuum demo feed which, I believe, is provided by CQG. For TradingView, I am just using their free demo feed. They are not specific, from what I can see, as to who provides the actual feed.

I will hunt around to see if I can get a feed that closely resembles the TradingView layout.

Thanks a lot,

Paul

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
      4 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Barry Milan  
      Started by DanielSanMartin, Yesterday, 02:37 PM
      2 responses