Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Stock symbol watermark in chart background?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock symbol watermark in chart background?

Hello,

With NT8, I was wondering if there's a way to show the stock symbol watermark in the background of a chart. Sometimes, when I'm looking for a particular chart out of the many charts on my screen, I think it would be easier if there were watermarks. For instance, since my chart background is black, it would be best to add a very dark grey watermark in bold text in the center of the chart behind all elements and indicators.

I have no coding experience. Thanks so much

Hello,

Thanks for posting.

This would be possible, but would require custom programming. If you are not a programmer yourself, you could enlist the help of a third party vendor to assist with the creation of such an item.
    Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

OK. Thank you, Drew.

Comment

Comment

I was looking for something similar this morning but couldn't find anything -- so I wrote this. Maybe it will help.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WDickerson View Post
            I was looking for something similar this morning but couldn't find anything -- so I wrote this. Maybe it will help.

This is amazing. Thank you. I'm so close to getting this they way I like. But I can't get the watermark of the instrument/stock symbol to display. Within the MyWatermarks indicator settings, if I select UseCustomText, the sample text displays beautifully but if I uncheck it, nothing displays. How do I get each symbol to display? Thanks again.

Correction: Some stocks display full names but some do not show anything. Example: F displays Ford Motor but AAOI does not display anything. Can I get only symbols on all stocks? Thx.
            Last edited by grazz; 08-07-2017, 06:30 PM.

Comment

The description is being pulled from the instrument description in Ninjatrader. You can check your description for AAOI by pulling up the Ninjatrader control panel, choosing Tools -> Instruments and then selecting AAOI. The description text box is probably blank for that one. It should already be filled in for most major stocks, indexes and futures.

You can fill in the descriptions for the instruments that are blank. I could also alter the code to show the shorter ticker symbol rather than the longer description.

Comment

Here is a tweaked version of the indicator. It now allows you to select the watermark type from a pull down list. The choices are the symbol, description or custom text.

Note this file is MyWaterMarksV2. If you download and import it, it will not replace the original version. You'll have to pick which one you want and can delete the original indicator.
                Attached Files

Comment

The description is being pulled from the instrument description in Ninjatrader. You can check your description for AAOI by pulling up the Ninjatrader control panel, choosing Tools -> Instruments and then selecting AAOI. The description text box is probably blank for that one. It should already be filled in for most major stocks, indexes and futures.

You can fill in the descriptions for the instruments that are blank. I could also alter the code to show the shorter ticker symbol rather than the longer description.
                  Ah..I see. I would really appreciate the symbol showing instead.

Comment

Sweet! Thanks so much. This is amazing. Truly greatly appreciated.

Comment

Very kind of you to create this. This indicator, with the custom text box option, was exactly what I was looking for, and I didn't have have the programming skills to create it.

Thank you very much.

Stephen

Comment

Awesome thanks!

Comment

I hate to ask you a favor after you've been kind enough to create this indicator, but there seems to be a problem with BandColor:
                          The default is black. I use NinjaTrader's slate gray skin, so the black isn't visible. I changed it to white and saved it in the indicator's preset.
                          Whenever I copy an existing window, or add the indicator to a window, or reboot NT, the BandColor reverts to black. All of my changed indicator settings hold except for BandColor. Because I have quite a few windows re-opening when I reboot NT and frequently change windows, changing BandColor is rather time consuming.
                          I'm hoping that you can find the time to create a fix.

Thanks,
                          Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by sgordet View Post
                            I hate to ask you a favor after you've been kind enough to create this indicator, but there seems to be a problem with BandColor:
                            The default is black. I use NinjaTrader's slate gray skin, so the black isn't visible. I changed it to white and saved it in the indicator's preset.
                            Whenever I copy an existing window, or add the indicator to a window, or reboot NT, the BandColor reverts to black. All of my changed indicator settings hold except for BandColor. Because I have quite a few windows re-opening when I reboot NT and frequently change windows, changing BandColor is rather time consuming.
                            I'm hoping that you can find the time to create a fix.

Thanks,
                            Stephen
                            I think I remember having the same issue. I ended up directly customizing the .cs document to my taste in the indicator's zip file in the NT8 profile folder. I changed the text color, the opacity and the text size. I'll post back if I can remember exactly what lines I changed in this .cs file.

EDIT: Here are the lines I played around with. These are default so look for these lines in the .cs file:
                            WaterMarkSize = 200;
                            WaterMarkOpacity = 0.2;
                            WaterMarkColor = Brushes.Black;

I fine-tuned these same 3 lines to look good on my charts (I use the Darkest skin):
                            WaterMarkSize = 65;
                            WaterMarkOpacity = 0.14;
                            WaterMarkColor = Brushes.White;

To add... no need to extract the .zip file. Just drag out the .cs file, open it in Notepad, save it and drag it back into the zip file to overwrite the old one.
                            Last edited by grazz; 04-12-2018, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Worked like a charm!

Thanks,
                              Stephen

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB