Is NinjaTrader free?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is NinjaTrader free?

In this Kinetick page (http://kinetick.com/NinjaTrader), it says that NinjaTrader is free. In the NinjaTrader platform signup web page (http://ninjatrader.com/BuyPlatform), it says that NT is $180/quarter (or some other payment plan if you don't use their brokerage).

I bought the $180/quarter package. Why is it not free as stated on the Kinetick web page?

Regards,

Dan.

From my perspective:

If you want to watch live/trade, you have to pay.

I haven't tried to connect live with a free key, but I suspect it won't.

It is also "free" if you have data to use. I have about 3.5 years of it recorded for replay. I use the free key to test strategies with my data on other machines. I can't trade on those machines, I can't see live data.

Comment

Hello dan_public,

NinjaTrader is a free application for advanced charting, market analytics, automated strategy development, and trade simulation with the Free Simulation License. We only charge for our product if and when you decide to trade live on the NinjaTrader platform.

The platform does not include a source of real-time or intra-day data from the market. This would need to be obtained from a data provider or subscribed with a funded brokerage account.

(edit)
      However, the Simulated Data Feed can be used for practice trading as well as the Playback connection for playing back previously recorded trading days as if they are real-time.

Below is a link to the NinjaTrader 8 help guide on Data by provider which shows the supported connection technologies and the types of data these connections support.

Also here is a publicly available link to a list of the supported brokers with the NinjaTrader Platform.

NinjaTrader provides online access to the futures, forex and equities markets through online brokers including NinjaTrader Brokerage.

Last, here is a link to our Connections Guide which will have instructions to setup the provider in NinjaTrader (scroll to the bottom).

Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 07-30-2017, 05:32 PM.
      Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
        From my perspective:

If you want to watch live/trade, you have to pay.

I haven't tried to connect live with a free key, but I suspect it won't.

It is also "free" if you have data to use. I have about 3.5 years of it recorded for replay. I use the free key to test strategies with my data on other machines. I can't trade on those machines, I can't see live data.
        Sledge,

Thanks for the feedback, especially about using the free key. Frankly, I expect to pay for data and exchange fees. My concern is the "somewhat-less-than-accurate" statements on their marketing web pages. (See my next post.)

Thanks and regards,

Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
          Hello dan_public,

NinjaTrader is a free application for advanced charting, market analytics, automated strategy development, and trade simulation with the Free Simulation License. We only charge for our product if and when you decide to trade live on the NinjaTrader platform.

The platform does not include a source of real-time or intra-day data. This would need to be obtained from a data provider or subscribed with a funded brokerage account.

Below is a link to the NinjaTrader 8 help guide on Data by provider which shows the supported connection technologies and the types of data these connections support.

Also here is a publicly available link to a list of the supported brokers with the NinjaTrader Platform.

NinjaTrader provides online access to the futures, forex and equities markets through online brokers including NinjaTrader Brokerage.

Last, here is a link to our Connections Guide which will have instructions to setup the provider in NinjaTrader (scroll to the bottom).

http://ninjatrader.com/Help-Connection-Guides
          Chelsea,

Thanks for the clarification. However, on this web page it says, "You can always use NinjaTrader for FREE and benefit from: (bunch of benefits)". I can't find any clarification on that web page. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tomorrow morning at 6:00 AM PDT, I will make a final choice between Kinetick and IQFeed. While there may be some advantage to getting support from a single company, Kinetick is approximately 30% more expensive than IQ feed for the same service level (500 symbols). What other benefits does Kinetick have over IQFeed?

Regards,

Dan.

Comment

Hello dan_public,

The NinjaTrader platform is free to use.

The Kinetick data service, where the platform is mentioned, is not free.

The platform and the connection are the same.

Is this the clarification you are wanting on the Kinetick data service page where NinjaTrader is mentioned? (Something along the lines of Kinetick is a data provider and is not a platform and NInjaTrader is a platform and not a data provider?)

No license is required to be purchased to use NinjaTrader with Kinetick as NinjaTrader is not a brokerage. You can use the Free Simulation license with Kinetick for as long as you would like. There is no expiration date with the Free Simulation License with the NinjaTrader Platform.

On the NinjaTrader advertisement on Kinetick's website, all features listed are free features included with the Free Simulation License.

I think your question might be about Kinetick.
            https://kinetick.com/Help#!Help_Request

I am uncertain about what benefits Kinetick has over IQFeed, however, please send a note to the Kinetick Support team and I am sure they would be happy to provide this information.
            Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 07-30-2017, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Hello dan_public,

The NinjaTrader platform is free to use.

The Kinetick data service, where the platform is mentioned, is not free.

The platform and the connection are the same.

Is this the clarification you are wanting on the Kinetick data service page where NinjaTrader is mentioned? (Something along the lines of Kinetick is a data provider and is not a platform and NInjaTrader is a platform and not a data provider?)

No license is required to be purchased to use NinjaTrader with Kinetick as NinjaTrader is not a brokerage. You can use the Free Simulation license with Kinetick for as long as you would like. There is no expiration date with the Free Simulation License with the NinjaTrader Platform.

On the NinjaTrader advertisement on Kinetick's website, all features listed are free features included with the Free Simulation License.

I think your question might be about Kinetick.
              https://kinetick.com/Help#!Help_Request

I am uncertain about what benefits Kinetick has over IQFeed, however, please send a note to the Kinetick Support team and I am sure they would be happy to provide this information.
              Chelsea,

Previously when I questioned the relationship between NinjaTrader company and Kinetick company, I was told that the NT support team also supported Kinetick. I.e. that's Kinetick benefit was an NT/Kinetick single point of contact to resolve issues. From your contact above, that doesn't seem to be true.

Thanks for your feedback. Although I may change my mind in the future... At this point, the best, least expensive data feed option for me is IQFeed.

Regards,

Dan.

Comment

Hello Dan,

Kinetick is separate company owned by the same parent company but has a separate support team. (Similar to the NinjaTrader Brokerage)

If you were to write in to platform support asking questions about your Kinetick account or services available, we would forward your question to the Kinetick support team and vice versa. (If you call into the NinjaTrader Brokerage for platform support you will be forwarded to the NinjaTrader platform support team)

Comment

Hello Dan,

Kinetick is separate company owned by the same parent company but has a separate support team. (Similar to the NinjaTrader Brokerage)

If you were to write in to platform support asking questions about your Kinetick account or services available, we would forward your question to the Kinetick support team and vice versa. (If you call into the NinjaTrader Brokerage for platform support you will be forwarded to the NinjaTrader platform support team)
                  Chelsea,

My apologies if I wasn't clear. Based on my original analysis, the only benefit that I could see with Kinetick over IQFeed was a single point of contact for support. Now I understand that I was mistaken and NT/Data Feed support comes from two separate teams regardless of which data feed vendor I chose. Given that IQFeed is less expensive for the same feed, I decided on IQFeed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Dan.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by yertle, Today, 08:38 AM
                  6 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post ryjoga
                  by ryjoga