Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Why NT doesn't support connection to linked accout by IB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello trader 11,

Yes, when an order in the master account is executed, it will be allocated to the individual sub-accounts per the logic configured in TWS.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Does this mean that I can also manage the positions once they are opened through the master account? Will the orders to close the positions still be allocated to the individual sub-accounts per the logic configured in TWS?

I'm being told by multiple people though platform support this is not the case and I need to be sure before going live tomorrow with the lease I just purchased. Specifically I'm using Ninja Trader 8 but I am open to using Ninja Trader 7 if it won't work in 8.

Here are 3 replies I got.

Reply 1:

You can trade live with your Financial Advisor account within the NinjaTrader platform. It is important to note that with these accounts that Order Actions are not replicated across accounts and must be managed individually for each account.

Financial Advisor accounts are supported for use with NinjaTrader 8. These would not be supported for NinjaTrader 7.

Order routing to multiple accounts would be handled on Interactive Brokers end.
      Please let me know if I may be of additional assistance.

Reply 2:

When an order on a master account is executed, it will be allocated to the individual sub-accounts per logic on IB's back end which can be configured in TWS

Once in a Position on the individual accounts, the master account no longer has knowledge of these positions.

Positions must be managed from each individual account.

Reply 3:

This would be correct, each individual order would need to be managed individually. Positions must be managed from each individual account

Orders show up on the master Financial Advisor account only. Order submitted from the Financial Advisor will NOT show up on the individual accounts.

Executions show up under the appropriate client accounts only. The execution updates are NOT sent back to the master account. The same would be true with positions.

Pressing Close on the Financial Advisor account would have no effect on the client accounts as it is not aware of the individual positions.

Comment

Yes, you can manage the positions by selecting the sub-accounts in NinjaTrader order entry windows. You will not see the position in the NinjaTrader order entry window that has the IB master account selected (from where you submit the entry order).

For example, you have 1 master account with 3 sub-accounts. You would then open 4 SuperDOM's or 4 ChartTraders, etc in NinjaTrader. Select a different account in each of them. Submit your entry order in the master account. Once the order fills, you will see the position in the sub-accounts, but not the master account.

You will need to close the position per sub-account. If you hit Close in the NinjaTrader order entry window that has the IB master account selected, it will not close the positions of the sub-accounts. This is because the master account does not show any position. You only see the position if you select a IB sub-account, so you will need to hit Close in the each of NinjaTrader order entry windows that have your sub-accounts selected.

So submitting an entry order in a NinjaTrader order entry window, that has the IB master account, will route the order to each of the sub-accounts once executed (as per logic in TWS). However once you are in positions in the sub-accounts, they need to managed individually.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

What about ATM strategies with IB master accounts?

Using your example of 1 master account and 3 sub-accounts, with 4 chart traders (or SuperDom's) open:

When the initial order is filled and shows up in the sub-accounts, will NT8 also issue orders for the ATM strategy? Will these orders show up in the master account or sub-accounts?

Scenario 1 - master account ATM's:
          You would have sub-accounts with positions, and a master account with perhaps a profit target order and a stop loss order (oco). I assume these orders can be manually adjusted to different prices if desired, like a normal account. So when either the profit target or stop loss is hit, the orders in the sub-accounts would then be closed.

Scenario 2 - sub account ATM's

You would have sub-accounts with positions and profit target / stop loss orders in each sub-account. They can be managed individually like normal accounts. A little more work, but still manageable.

Scenario 3 - No ATM's for master account executions.
          IMO, this is the only really bad scenario.

Is one of these scenarios correct, or does it work another way? Thanks!

Comment

Hello RogBear,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, submitting ATM strategies to the Master account is not supported - ATM strategies will work as expected when submitting them to the individual accounts. You would have to adopt the approach you describe in your Scenario 2.

If you would like, I can submit a feature request to include support for this functionality in a future release of NinjaTrader 8.
            Alan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

At this point in time, with only a few accounts, I can manage using scenario 2, thanks. Perhaps I can eventually create some NinjaScript to help me manage the positions in the sub-accounts.

Comment

Please add my vote for "linked accounts", also.
                I've been an NT platform owned since 08 and I need linked accounts support.
                thanks,
                james

Comment

Please add my vote for IB linked account support. I need this. I am currently unable to trade one of my IB accounts from NT8 because it always connects to a linked account that is only used for long term investments. I do not want to revert back to NT7.

Comment

Yes, I also am stuck on one account and its not the one i want to trade.
                    And i also don't want to revert back to NT7. NT8 was supposed to be a step forward.

Comment

Hello jimbo002 and jvanelli,

I've added your votes to this existing feature request.

I'll update this thread with the tracking number being used to track this request once it has been processed.
                      Alan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you Alan,
                        much appreciated.

Comment

This might work

I have not personally confirmed this yet, but according to IB support, one can assign login credentials to a "new user", and give that user access ONLY to one specific linked account. Then when connecting to NT8, any instance of TWS or Gateway that has been opened with the "new user" credentials could only return the specified linked account information. This is not as good as the account selector dropdown of NT7, but for those of us who only want to trade one of our linked account via NT8, it may suffice.

Comment

JVanelli
                            How would one assign login credentials to a "new user"? Is this something that could be done online at IB's website or would IB people have to do this?

Comment

You would do this by logging into IB account management. Try this link for more info:

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll try it.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
                                4 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post arvidvanstaey  
                                Started by samish18, 04-17-2024, 08:57 AM
                                16 responses