Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Why NT doesn't support connection to linked accout by IB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why NT doesn't support connection to linked accout by IB?

I plan to use NT for automated trading by using the IB Gateway API. I have only one primary account but several linked accounts. Since I have several strategies so I have to trade them on my linked accounts.

But I see the NT's introduction the NT doesn't support connection to IB linked account. Why? A linked account has its separated account number, username and password.

Thomas

Hello Thomas,

Linked accounts with Interactive Brokers are supported in NinjaTrader 7.

Unfortunately we dropped support for linked accounts in NinjaTrader 8 to support Financial Advisor accounts with Interactive Brokers.

I will forward your vote to support linked accounts with Interactive Brokers in NinjaTrader 8.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jason,

>>Unfortunately we dropped support for linked accounts in NinjaTrader 8 to support Financial Advisor accounts with Interactive Brokers.

I haven't understood 100% what you mean here.

Do you mean NT doesn't support linked account by IB which is linked to other Financial Advisor? Or the opposite?

So far I understand from other platform such as QuantOpian.com, one just supports linked accounts by IB which is not linked to other Financial Advisor.

Thomas

Comment

NinjaTrader 8 supports Financial Advisor accounts with Interactive Brokers. NinjaTrader 8 does not support linked accounts with Interactive Brokers. These are 2 different account types from Interactive Brokers.

Comment

Yes, I know these are 2 different account types from Interactive Brokers. It seems you do the opposite to the other such as QuantOpian.com and IBridgePy.com.

Then I want to know: What kind of account type do you support by IB? And if I have several strategies to trade by IB, what can I do?

Thomas

Comment

We do support individual and Financial Advisor accounts with Interactive Brokers.

You can run multiple automated strategies in NinjaTrader.

If you like to connect to multiple IB accounts, please see the instructions at the forum thread below (post #2).

Comment

Yes, I've read the link of another post. That wrote:

>>If you have two accounts start TWS up twice with each account logged in.

A linked account by IB has its own account number, username and password to its primary account.

>>Default is 7496, leave this as is for the first username.
              >>Add 1 to this value to be 7497 on the second account so each account has a unique port value.

I set the server port 7496 to the first linked accopunt and 7497 to the second linked account, and use their own username and password to login. Where is the problem?

Comment

Unfortunately linked accounts are not supported in NinjaTrader 8. This would work with 2 individual accounts in NinjaTrader 8 for example.

You could use NinjaTrader 7 which does support linked accounts with Interactive Brokers.

Comment

Many thanks.

But last word:Will NT think of to allow trading on linked account in the future? I do need this feature.
                  Last edited by thomas2004ch; 08-30-2017, 02:09 AM.

Comment

The suggestion is present on the list of possible future enhancements and is assigned to SFT-1589. We added your vote. Unfortunately I do not have information if and when it will be supported.

Comment

Hi Jason,
                      Please add my vote for support of IB linked accounts. I have been an IB customer for over 10 years and have had only one login over that entire period, but have added linked accounts along the way. I became a NinjaTrader 7 user 2 1/2 years ago and have successfully used multiple existing IB accounts with NT7 and earlier versions of NT8 ever since. I am most distressed that this feature has been unceremoniously removed without prior notice. I was fortunate that my primary trading account is the one of my three accounts that the newer versions of NT8 connected to, even though it was not the original account under my IB login.

Regards,
                      John

Comment

Hello John,

I have forwarded your vote. Thank you for your feedback.

Comment

Interactive Brokers Advisor Account

Jason,

IB has accounts named " Registered Investment Advisor ", " Friends and Family Advisor " and " Family Office ". Are all 3 account types " Financial Advisor accounts " for NT 8, as discussed earlier in this thread ? Would IB's " Automated allocations " function with these account types ? Would TWS have to be logged in multiple times ?

Thanks,
                          Bruce

Comment

Hello Bruce,

I am not sure if all 3 accounts types are Financial Advisor accounts. Am I correct these account types consist of 1 master account and several sub-accounts?

Yes, when an order is executed in the master account, it will be allocated to the sub-accounts as per the logic setup in TWS.

You only need to create 1 connection for Interactive Brokers in NinjaTrader.

Comment

Will NT work in this scenario of the Advisor account? I have 3 accounts that I moved over this way and need to know if I'm going to be able to trade through NT with one click allocating orders to the different accounts as set up in IB TWS.

Move my entire account to an account managed by the Advisor/Broker identified below.

Transfer all of my cash and positions to the Advisor/Broker-managed account.
                              If I move my entire account to an Advisor, I will no longer be able to log into Trader Workstation, and my current market data subscriptions will be canceled.
                              If I move my entire account to a Broker, I will retain my ability to log into Trader Workstation, and my current market data subscriptions will not be canceled.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Christopher_R, Today, 12:29 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Christopher_R  
                              Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                              166 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post sidlercom80