Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 Froze During Trade, Could Not Exit

Hello,

I have been having NT8 freeze on me nearly every day now, for many weeks, and I have to shut it down then re-start it.

And a few times, I had NT8 freeze on me after I tried to exit a trade to take profits. Most times, that would cause my profits to turn into a loss.

Today I was in a trade and tried to exit to take profits, and NT8 froze and I saw my P&L going up and down for quite some time, so I took a video of it.

The video ended up being 4 minutes and 14 seconds long, and NT8 still did not close out my trade; so I stopped the video and restarted NT8.

Only then did NT8 close out my position.

I have a video that I recorded of the trade and the freezing that occurred (20 MB file).

Below are things I have tried to resolve this issue in recent days:

* Uninstalled System Mechanic Pro

* Went into the NinjaTrader 8 > bin64 directory, right-clicked on NinjaTrader.exe and changed the Compatability properties to 'Run this program as an administrator'

* Went into the NinjaTrader 8 > bin64 directory, right-clicked on NinjaTrader.exe and added the following Compatability properties 'Disable fullscreen optimizations'

* Went into the NinjaTrader 8 > bin64 directory, right-clicked on NinjaTrader.exe and added the following Compatability properties 'Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 8'

* Went into Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > templates and deleted the GlobalDrawingObject directory then recreated an empty version of it

* Went into the Device Manager > Display adapters and updated NVIDIA NVS 510 driver

* Ran a speed test with my ISP (data usage for September, 62 GB, for November 1st, 357 MB. Total maximum usage for each calendar month is 201 GB)

Please advise,

i2w8am9ii2,

Thanks for posting,

I see you have already written in to Platform Support with the same message. I will follow up with you via email.
    Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Drew,

Okay, thanks.

Comment

curious coincidence

Originally posted by i2w8am9ii2 View Post
        Hello,

I have been having NT8 freeze on me nearly every day now, for many weeks, and I have to shut it down then re-start it.

And a few times, I had NT8 freeze on me after I tried to exit a trade to take profits. Most times, that would cause my profits to turn into a loss.

Today I was in a trade and tried to exit to take profits, and NT8 froze and I saw my P&L going up and down for quite some time, so I took a video of it.

The video ended up being 4 minutes and 14 seconds long, and NT8 still did not close out my trade; so I stopped the video and restarted NT8.

Only then did NT8 close out my position.

I have a video that I recorded of the trade and the freezing that occurred (20 MB file).

Below are things I have tried to resolve this issue in recent days:

* Uninstalled System Mechanic Pro

* Went into the NinjaTrader 8 > bin64 directory, right-clicked on NinjaTrader.exe and changed the Compatability properties to 'Run this program as an administrator'

* Went into the NinjaTrader 8 > bin64 directory, right-clicked on NinjaTrader.exe and added the following Compatability properties 'Disable fullscreen optimizations'

* Went into the NinjaTrader 8 > bin64 directory, right-clicked on NinjaTrader.exe and added the following Compatability properties 'Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 8'

* Went into Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > templates and deleted the GlobalDrawingObject directory then recreated an empty version of it

* Went into the Device Manager > Display adapters and updated NVIDIA NVS 510 driver

* Ran a speed test with my ISP (data usage for September, 62 GB, for November 1st, 357 MB. Total maximum usage for each calendar month is 201 GB)

Please advise,
        Seems like a curious coincidence that two posts, right next to each other, complain of NT 8 freezing. I called my a "crash" but it was really a "freeze"--the program didn't close (crash) it just froze (refused to respond).
        What the heck is causing this?

Comment

Tasuki,

No changes have been made to NinjaTrader 8, and not every NinjaTrader 8 user is experiencing these issues.

If you're currently speaking with us via email, please follow up with that email.

If you're not currently speaking with us via email, please follow our instructions to write in to Platform Support so we can find out what is occurring with your NinjaTrader.

Comment

Hi Tasuki,

After speaking with Ninjatrader Patform Support, I renamed my database (which deleted all my simulated trading results, and other such things).

Then my database file (NinjaTrader.sdf) dropped from a size of over 50 MB to 5.93 MB

I also did the following:

* Adjust for best performance

1) Click Start, right-click Computer, click Properties, and then click 'Advanced system settings'...

2) On the 'Advanced' tab, click 'Settings' under 'Performance'.

3) On the 'Visual Effects' tab, click 'Adjust for best performance', and then click 'OK'.

4) Click 'OK' to close the 'System Properties' dialog box.
            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Speed Up Processor

1) Open the 'Run' dialog box. ...

2) Type msconfig and press Enter. ...

3) Click the Boot tab and choose the 'Advanced Option's button. ...

4) Place a check mark by 'Number of Processors' and choose the highest number from the menu button. ...

5) Click OK.
            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did not have NT8 fail to respond while trying to exit from a trade since then (but it has only been one day), but NT8 did continue to have my charts freeze a few different times, causing me to have to shut down and restart NT8.

Next I will try uninstalling the Malwarebyes software, as I have System Mechanic Pro installed, which has a malware detection and removal feature.

I was also told that I might want to consider a VPS service, which I am looking into.

But either way, NT8 needs to become a much more stable platform, as the freeze that prevented me from exiting my trade for several minutes could have wiped out all the funds in my trading account, if the price had gone against me in a big way during that episode.

Many of us work extremely hard each day, trying to make it as traders, and all of that time, effort and struggle, and our trading funds, should not be at risk due to an unstable trading platform.

So this needs to be taken very seriously and should be a higher priority than anything else they are considering fixing in the next release of NT8.

Comment

just trying to help

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
              Tasuki,

No changes have been made to NinjaTrader 8, and not every NinjaTrader 8 user is experiencing these issues.

If you're currently speaking with us via email, please follow up with that email.

If you're not currently speaking with us via email, please follow our instructions to write in to Platform Support so we can find out what is occurring with your NinjaTrader.
              OK, have it your way. I was just trying to help.
              Tasuki

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Kensonprib, 04-28-2021, 10:11 AM
              5 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Hasadafa  
              Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
              11 responses
              0 likes