Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 is not responding

Hi

I'm trying to backtest the attached strategy, and it keeps killing NT8, and my computer everytime I try to run. I'm sure people are managing to get nt8 to run much more complex stuff than this.

I've followed previous guidance- downloaded historic data first, made sure the connection is offline while backtesting. streamlined the code (as much as my limited skills will allow!)

I cant seem to get any backtesting traction on the 15min or 60min even for short periods of just 24 months. I'm only trying to run it against single currencies at a time, not even backest multiple fx currencies at the same time.

I'm using nt8 64bit and my laptop is only 2 years old, so cant see it being a memory issue.

Any ideas, is there bugs in NT8, and how do I resolve?

Thanks
    STeve
    Attached Files

Hello lancasterstephen,

Thanks for your post.

With reference to your prior thread on the same subject: https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...d.php?t=105469

Do you still experience run time errors? Please be sure to observe the "Log" tab of the NinjaTrader8 control center when you run the analyzer for any run-time type errors.

In addition, it appears you are still making a number of inline calls to indicators. From your previous thread we advised: "You are making a number of in-line references to indicators and this has a performance cost. Please review the helpguide section on best ninjascript practices, performance section: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help..._practices.htm ". Changing these inline calls will help the performance of your code.
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Paul

Thanks for referring to my query last week. Would it be possible to provide an example of an in-line reference to indicator? I didn’t understand this one, so did not manage to implement your previous guidance!
      Also, the best practices link in the below does not seem to work.
      Thanks again for all the assistance

Comment

Hello lancasterstephen,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry about the link not working, I get the same error when clicking on it. Please try: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help..._practices.htm

The best practice section titled, "Performance practices", shows an example of referencing the method in-line and how to create a local copy to use. The example shown is an SMA indicator.

Comment

Hi Paul

Thanks for the correct link- I totally understand what you mean now. I've re-wrote my strategy where indicators are involved to look like the best practice guide.

But, I still don't understand why running this strategy is causing NT8 to close. I've got the log open and it seems when I run the strategy, nothing happens in the log.
          Thanks

Comment

Hello lancasterstephen,

Thanks for your reply.

There are still issues with your coding. We recommend that you revisit this section of coding:

Code:
            BarCountRetest
                       if (
                 Retest
                )
                        {
                        BarCountRetest++;   

}

// RETEST RESET: If price breaks above, reset everything back to the start
                       if (
                Retest
                && Close[0]>MAX(High,BarCountOverbought)[BarCountRetest]

)
                        {
                        Notrade=true;
            and spend some time debugging the values of BarCountRetest and the BarCountOverbought.

Comment

Hi Paul

Thanks for the guidance. I revisited the section of code you referred to, and I've hopefully also removed a lot of references such as MAX(High, BarCountOverbought)[BarCountRetest] by tagging it to a defined variable at a point in time, and then using this throughout my strategy.

In the link you sent me on performance issues, it outlines setting things to null once you have used them to reduce memory useage. Are there any further guidance sections on what can be set to null? I tried to set the variables to null to improve performance, but that does not appear to be an item which can be set to null!

Thanks
              steve

Comment

Hello lancasterstephen,

Thanks for your reply.

Typically you would set an object such as an order object or a drawing object to null.

Comment

Hi

When I'm backtesting now against my instrument list (17 forex currencies), the strategy analyser runs through 16 of the 17 iterations very quickly, then it gets stuck and freezes on the last one.

I've got the log open, but this does not populate until the backtest completes.

Is there a way to see which forex pair is causing the strategy problems as the backtest progresses through the 17 iterations? I've ran them all individually, and the EURUSD (Which alphabetically is like the 7th in the list) takes more time, but still generates results. the 17th one in the list (USDCHF) runs absolutely fine on its own. Id just like to find out where it's getting stuck.

I've checked all the downloaded historic data, and, seems to be fine from a glance.

Thanks for all the help
                  Steve

Comment

Hello lancasterstephen,

Thanks for your reply.

Please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to an e-mail so I may investigate this matter.

Send the e-mail to PlatformSupport[at]NinjaTrader[dot]com Mark the e-mail Atten Paul and include a link to this thread.

Open your NinjaTrader folder under My Documents.
                    Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
                    Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to the email.
                    Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
                    5 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Max238
                    by Max238

Started by giulyko00, Yesterday, 12:03 PM
                    3 responses