Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doji Candle not visually complete

Hi,

When plotting a doji candlestick--where the open and close price are the same--NT8 does not not drawing any horizontal line. But all references I've seen draw a horizontal line at that price. Google "doji candlestick images" for examples. Please let me know if i have something set wrong. I'm using a black background.

Thanks,
    Chris

Hello Chris,

Can you please right click in the chart and select 'Data Series'. Click the 'Candle body outline' and 'Candle wick' settings and check what color is selected. If you select a White color for these settings, do you see the horizontal line?
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ahh, I see there are 2 settings "wick" and "outline". Its actually "outline" that makes the horizontal line appear on doji's with side effect of having to see an outline. I had turned "outline" off by setting it to Transparent because it looks awful when showing a lot of data and the bars are very thin. I wish there was a way to have the horizontal line without the outline.

Imo, the outline serves little visual purpose when the contrast between the background and body color is good, it just adds clutter because its color doesn't match the color of the candle. Googling candlestick pattern images shows a mix of those with outline and those without. Please consider an option in the future to draw candles without the outline but yet shows the horizontal line on doji.

Thanks!
      Chris

Comment

Hello Chris,

I will forward the suggestion to show the horizontal line of doji's when outline color is to transparent to development to put it on the list of possible future enhancements.

Comment

The suggestion is present on the list and is assigned to SFT-2127. We added your vote.

Comment

Any update on SFT-2127? The missing doji line can be quite annoying. The outline mode workaround adds too much visual clutter.

***The simple fix is whenever the open == close and outline color is transparent, then draw the doji line using the wick color.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately it does not appear this has been implemented;

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find it in the release notes:

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
              Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Would you please copy the "simple fix" comment into the SFT so it is obvious how easy this is to fix? If there is a way to raise the priority on the ticket I would appreciate it.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
                  NinjaTrader is not intended to contain every possible feature. The beauty of the platform is that add-ons are supported and that each user can customize NinjaTrader exactly as they desire. Each trader is different, so each trader will want different features.

The Development Team considers many factors when determining which feature requests to implement. You've done your part by making it known that you would also like this feature implemented into NinjaTrader.

Having said this, you may consider coding a custom bar type to create your desired outcome:

Comment

Candles without an outline shouldn't make them lose price information. Its not a feature, its a bug.

Comment

To reiterate, this is the expected result for a doji bar when the default color of the outline is set to transparent. The Development Team is aware of this and is tracking it via the SFT number Marco provided.

Comment

Hi Patrick. I'm not sure that "behaving as expected" would be the best terminology here since it is not expected from an end-user's perspective. But anyway, I think you are agreeing there is some problem here and I hope it can be addressed/escalated since the cost to fix it is so small. Thanks for keeping the communication lines open.

Comment

'Behaving as expected', 'Expected behaviour' etc are Ninja's weasel-words used with the intention to 'justify' the fact that the software behaves as it does and to deflect away from the fact that in doing so it is not what a User would expect nor should it be coded in such a way. Obfuscation and failure to take ownership. But it is long demonstrated that this is top-down corporate culture and there is no sign of any desire to change, as this post clearly re-iterates.

This thread is an excellent & very concise example - the problem identified is very clearly a failing of the core platform. It has existed since and throughout 7 and 8. The response from Ninja is not to accept that and fix it, but to tell you it is a benefit of the platform that you can use a third-party add-on to fix a core platform failure. If you do resort to a third-party fix/workaround, this then provides Ninja with the ability to deflect any future issues with the platform in the first instance at the door of said third party developer you have had to turn to in order to redress basic platform functionality that Ninja have failed/refused to. This usually then results in a substantial amount and irrelevant waste of a User's time to demonstrate that the problem is nothing to do with any third-party add-on.

The way this should work as basic platform functionality is as pointed out/requested, and furthermore the wick should colour-match the bar. But none of the responses from Ninja tackle that fundamental point, and when #crokusec brings the interchange back to that core point, the response is to deflect it once again and re-iterate the platform is 'behaving as expected'.

#crokusek I think it apparent from the tone of responses you should not expect this to be addressed. It wasn't in 7, it isn't in 8, and there is no indication it will be i.e. the point you raise, that it is a failure of basic functionality which results in a loss of information, has not been taken up/avoided in the responses. As you correctly point out loss of information isn't a feature it is a bug. The response is simply to re-iterate that it is working how Ninja have coded it and not address that that is unsatisfactory or act on it. I have the same problem for years. I used a third party add-on in 7 but took a decision not to use them when migrating to 8 to prevent Ninja's shenanigans.
                          So we have a Mexican stand-off - I won't use third-party add-ons to fix basic platform functionality, Ninja won't fix basic platform functionality failings, excuse it as 'expected behaviour' and tell you to use a third-party add-on, that the ability to do so is in fact 'the beauty of Ninjatrader' and when you do so will be the first place to be blamed for any subsequent issue you encounter.

Seems Ninja think this is the way to go. Business as usual.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your replies.

When a setting is set to transparent, it will behave as such. Apart from the feature request, you may be able to program this logic into the platform using NinjaScript:

Comment

In this case, a simple solution would take less time to code than the response to this post..

1. Open a NinjaScript Editor..
                              2. Open ChartStyles - CandleStyle
                              3. Right Click in White and Save As
                              4. Name script whatever you want (CandleStyle2)

5. Replace lines 50 - 52
                              Code:
                              Brush b = overriddenOutlineBrush ?? Stroke.BrushDX;
                              if (!(b is SolidColorBrush))
                                   TransformBrush([COLOR=#800080]overriddenOutlineBrush ?? Stroke.BrushDX[/COLOR], new RectangleF(point0.X, point0.Y - Stroke.Width, barWidth, Stroke.Width));
                              with this code below:

Code:
                              Brush b = [COLOR=#8B4513]Stroke.Brush.ToString().Equals(@"#00FFFFFF") ? Stroke2.BrushDX : [/COLOR]overriddenOutlineBrush ?? Stroke.BrushDX;
                              if (!(b is SolidColorBrush)) TransformBrush([COLOR=#800080]b[/COLOR][COLOR=#008080],[/COLOR] new RectangleF(point0.X, point0.Y - Stroke.Width, barWidth, Stroke.Width));

If CandleOutline (Stroke) is Transparent (#00FFFFFF") - Use CandleWick Color (Stroke2) instead - Otherwise use CandleOutline..
                              Also Note: this solution uses CandleWick for only doji color, but continues using CandleOutline settings for width and style..

Now just use CandleStyle2 (or whatever you named it) instead of CandleStyle for your ChartStyle and your good to go!

-=Edge=-
                              NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - High Tech Trading Analysis

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by rocketman7, Today, 02:12 AM
                              6 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rocketman7  
                              Started by guillembm, Yesterday, 11:25 AM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse