Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart window name updates

Hello,

currently I am testing NT8 and try to migrate my whole NT7 setup. There is one behaviour in NT8 which causes some problems to me:

The header of a chart window (which is also visible in the windows explorer) gets changed immediately after selecting a different symbol in NT8. In NT7 the new header (with the new symbol and timeframe etc.) is visible only after the completion of the chart loading and not immediately after the selection of a different symbol.

Therefore I am able to monitor the downloading process in NT7 via a script (via monitoring the window names) which is not possible this way in NT8. Since bigger chart loading processes take some time it makes no sense to change the visible header before the chart really is completed in my opinion.

Could you please consider to amend this behaviour back to the same setup than in NT7?

Many thanks.

Joerg

Hello Joerg,

NinjaTrader 8 does not use the Window Forms Titlebar.

Any use of this for NinjaTrader 7 would be unsupported by NinjaTrader Support.

However, this thread will remain open for any community members that may know of a work around.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Dear Chelsea,

I understand this. But also for manual usage it is a strange behaviour I guess. Let me give an example:

One loads a chart with a bigger amount of necessary raw data, e.g. a multi-tick chart or minute chart and the data are loaded from a server. With IB such charts often need several minutes to load. During that period of time the window header already shows the new symbol (and frequency a.s.o.) whereby the chart contains the prior symbol.

I am not asking for using the windows forms, I only propose to amend the update behaviour of the header in order to avoid inconsistencies between window header and window content.

Many thanks,
      Joerg

Comment

Hello Joerg,

We could submit a feature request for this, however I wanted to bring up that it could be argued that updating the window header on a change of the instrument and mentioning Loading Data would be a more intended result.

So you can achieve your goal outside the feature request, I may propose a work around for your approach to use an indicator that takes an action on State.DataLoaded to alert your external script that the chart has finished loading data after you see that the window name changes.

For the thread's reference, publicly available documentation for NinjaScript states and the NinjaScript LifeCycle can be found here:

OnStateChange() - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...tatechange.htm

NinjaScript LifeCycle - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...fecycle_of.htm

If you would like me to submit a feature request so your interest is tracked, please let me know and I will happy to submit the request on your behalf.
        JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your fast answer and the proposal regarding the StateChange method. I will try this approach and I think it should work for me.

Besides that it would be great to add the status to the window header and many users should find it useful. Could you add a feature request please as proposed?

Ideally also the processed percentage and expected time left could be shown.

Many thanks.

Joerg
          Last edited by Joerg; 01-27-2018, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Absolutely.

I've sent in the feature request and I'll update this thread with the ticket ID when it becomes available.

Ticket ID: SFT-708

As with other feature requests, we cannot present an ETA as they are fulfilled based on the development team's schedule and priorities. Upon implementation the ticket ID can be found publicly on the Release Notes page of the help guide. I'll provide a link below.

Release Notes: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

If there is anything else we can do to help out, please let me know.
            Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jim; 01-30-2018, 07:50 AM.
            JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Add my vote for SFT-708. Thanks!

Comment

Hello,

Thank you, a vote has been added on your behalf.
                Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by sightcareclickhere, Today, 01:55 PM
                0 responses
                1 view
                0 likes
                Last Post sightcareclickhere  
                Started by Mindset, 05-06-2023, 09:03 PM
                9 responses