The problems of NT not controlling window layouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problems of NT not controlling window layouts

This is already a major feature requested by many users (and still ignored) that Ninjatrader control the window layouts - tiling, grids, whatever you want to call it.

Other than it just being far more neat and tidy and organized (something all traders should be) it solves other problems.

One that is uber annoying, is that with the current system, I have to have multiple different windows open at once - see example:

Click image for larger version

Name:	NT8_multiwindows.jpg
Views:	907
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1035514

12 windows open... just for Ninjatrader!!

So if I need to minimize the application to get to my desktop, I either have to individually minimize 12 windows, or hit the desktop button in Widows task bar. But even to restore, I have to individually click on every NT8 window to restore it... beyond idiotic.

Also, sometimes when starting up the PC in the mornings, something happens that freaks NT out and even though the windows all load, they highlight orange and need to each be clicked on once to calm them down and stop them flashing orange! SUPER ANNOYING!

Another problem I face daily, is the size of the order entry side-panel compared to chart size.

With one chart fully sized and taking up a full monitor, the side bar order entry is manageable:

Name:	NT8_OrderEntrySidebar_01.JPG
Views:	700
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	1035515

But when minimized back to small size to fit my 2x3 chart configuration, having to use old, unsupported 3rd party software because neither Ninjatrader nor Windows can do that kind of layout, I get this:

Name:	NT8_OrderEntrySidebar_02.JPG
Views:	734
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	1035516

UTTERLY USELESS!!

I cant see anything happening on my charts, even with a live order in place, and the order entry sidebar is exactly the same size as if the chart were maximized to full screen!

Why am I having to point this out to you? If Ninjatrader were my own software, these are exactly the kinds of problem I would foresee, test for, and then build solutions for!

NT is supposed to be leading edge yet clearly is behind the pack!

eSignal can handle this, TC2000 can handle this, hell even tradingview.com A FREE ONLINE TOOL can handle this!

But for some reason Ninjatrader think this is better:

Views:	676
ID:	1035517

after some hours of programming i don't know where is the window of NinjaScript Editor... it drives me crazy...
    it's really "heavy", tends to make you tired faster....

Comment

If you use SHIFT+Right click on the NinjaTrader icon on your Windows task bar, you'll find two options - 'minimize all windows' and 'restore all windows'. These are a two-click solution to your minimize/restore issue.

I'd need more information about what else is occurring which is causing windows to require attention during start up. The next time the 'orange flash' issue occurs, please make note about what, if anything, is appearing in the Control Center's log tab which may gives us clues as to what is occurring.

Chart trader being re-sizable is a feature which should be included in the next release of NinjaTrader. Keep at eye on the release notes to know when this has been implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by ninjatrader_patrickg View Post
        if you use shift+right click on the ninjatrader icon on your windows task bar, you'll find two options - 'minimize all windows' and 'restore all windows'. These are a two-click solution to your minimize/restore issue.
        this is useful thanks i will try to remember it

Comment

Originally posted by Irukandji View Post
          This is already a major feature requested by many users (and still ignored) that Ninjatrader control the window layouts - tiling, grids, whatever you want to call it.

Other than it just being far more neat and tidy and organized (something all traders should be) it solves other problems.

One that is uber annoying, is that with the current system, I have to have multiple different windows open at once - see example:

Name:	NT8_multiwindows.jpg
Views:	907
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1035514

12 windows open... just for Ninjatrader!!

So if I need to minimize the application to get to my desktop, I either have to individually minimize 12 windows, or hit the desktop button in Widows task bar. But even to restore, I have to individually click on every NT8 window to restore it... beyond idiotic.

Also, sometimes when starting up the PC in the mornings, something happens that freaks NT out and even though the windows all load, they highlight orange and need to each be clicked on once to calm them down and stop them flashing orange! SUPER ANNOYING!

Another problem I face daily, is the size of the order entry side-panel compared to chart size.

With one chart fully sized and taking up a full monitor, the side bar order entry is manageable:

Name:	NT8_OrderEntrySidebar_01.JPG
Views:	700
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	1035515

But when minimized back to small size to fit my 2x3 chart configuration, having to use old, unsupported 3rd party software because neither Ninjatrader nor Windows can do that kind of layout, I get this:

Views:	734
ID:	1035516

UTTERLY USELESS!!

I cant see anything happening on my charts, even with a live order in place, and the order entry sidebar is exactly the same size as if the chart were maximized to full screen!

Why am I having to point this out to you? If Ninjatrader were my own software, these are exactly the kinds of problem I would foresee, test for, and then build solutions for!

NT is supposed to be leading edge yet clearly is behind the pack!

eSignal can handle this, TC2000 can handle this, hell even tradingview.com A FREE ONLINE TOOL can handle this!

But for some reason Ninjatrader think this is better:

Views:	676
ID:	1035517
          It's almost unbelievable that after, it appears many years of pointing this out by users that NINJA has not addressed this. If the trading indicator I have (that works great and consistently makes money) didn't require NINJA I would be gone. Th y are programming for Sierra Chart now and that's where I will go if this doesn't get fixed. From a programmer for another platform this is a fairly standard feature and it appears that NINJA just doesn't care.

Comment

Has any solution to this been provided? I use a lot of windows and having NT be able to manage layouts/layout templates would be very helpful.

Comment

There is no 'fix' per se other than the information I provided in post #3. The Chart Trader has been re-sizeable for some time (this post is originally from October 2018):

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
              If you use SHIFT+Right click on the NinjaTrader icon on your Windows task bar, you'll find two options - 'minimize all windows' and 'restore all windows'. These are a two-click solution to your minimize/restore issue.

I'd need more information about what else is occurring which is causing windows to require attention during start up. The next time the 'orange flash' issue occurs, please make note about what, if anything, is appearing in the Control Center's log tab which may gives us clues as to what is occurring.

Chart trader being re-sizable is a feature which should be included in the next release of NinjaTrader. Keep at eye on the release notes to know when this has been implemented.

Comment

HI Patrick, I've found that a feature request was made, it's no. is SFT-926. Being new, i can't find how i vote for this. Can you please advise.
                Thanks
                Chris

Comment

SFT-926 is not directly related to what's been discussed in this thread. I've added your vote to SFT-2910.

Comment

Thanks Patrick.

Comment

Hello Patrick,
                      please add me to the vote SFT-2910

Thanks
                      Goldy

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM