• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

CPU Upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU Upgrade

Hello,

I will be upgrading my current Intel 6700k CPU with the incoming Intel 9th generation CPU due out any day now. I want to know if I should go for the i7 9700k 8c 8t or if Ninja Trader 8 will benefit from the hyperthreading that is included in the core i9 9900k 8c 16t.
    I am leaning towards the i7 without hyperthreading but will go with the i9 if it is recommended and NT8 not only utilizes hyperthreading but will benefit from having 16 threads.

I run about 10 DOMs and 12 charts. A few have some custom indicators but nothing too fancy. My i7 6700k @4.6Ghz has kept up just fine other than moments of extremely high volume and not sure if that is delay from internet, server or PC.

Thanks,
    John

We do not have a specific recommendation for upgrading your PC hardware, however, any improvement in PC hardware should in turn improve NinjaTrader performance.

With that said, it is still possible to bottleneck a particular thread if there is too much load on it. You can find out more about impact of third party add-ons and also some performance tips at the links below:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...tallingAdd-Ons

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ance_tips2.htm
    Patrick G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I don't see the point going from 4 core/8 thread to 8 core.

If your current setup is working, not sure why you are upgrading at all.. oh wait ->>> "
      I run about 10 DOMs and 12 charts. A few have some custom indicators but nothing too fancy. My i7 6700k @4.6Ghz has kept up just fine other than moments of extremely high volume and not sure if that is delay from internet, server or PC" <- Does task manager show CPU spike? >50%? How many cores running?

Not sure where you are located - but what's your internet speed and ping to the servers? More than a few complaints over the years about high volume and lagging. I think it happens just about everywhere - and no one is immune to it.. (except maybe those with VPS systems "next to" the exchanges.

But hey if you want some new equipment, I'd get the 8/16.

Comment

I bought a new laptop with an i7-8750H cpu, I don't see why that wouldn't be powerful enough. So that's another option. It is 6 core/12 thread. I would monitor your cpu to see if that really is the issue. I like core temp. This software installs right into your tray area and you can see color-coded % values for CPU usage, memory usage, clock speed, temperature. Just make sure to tell windows to always show those icons on the taskbar. https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by williamzz, Today, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        0 likes
        Last Post Emma1
        by Emma1

Started by thecashguys, Today, 10:18 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes